Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you need an SGC to shoot an antique ML shotgun?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Would you need an SGC to shoot an antique ML shotgun?

I know that you can buy an antique muzzleloading rifle or pistol without a FAC: but that if you then decide to shoot it, it must go on FAC.

Would similar procedures apply to an antique muzzleloading shotgun?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Smoothbores on SGC, anything rifled on a FAC. I have asked the home office about the use of musket balls (in smoothbores) as they are essentially solid slug when loaded, but have not received any reply as yet.

muzzle loading smoothbore shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by robkayak View Post
    Smoothbores on SGC, anything rifled on a FAC. I have asked the home office about the use of musket balls (in smoothbores) as they are essentially solid slug when loaded, but have not received any reply as yet.
    You can legaly shoot round ball or conical from a muzzle loading shotgun as opposed to ball in a cartridge. No fac required.

I was thinking in the sense of, would an owner of an antique ML shotgun, who legally puchased it as a wallhanger, but then decided he wanted to hunt or shoot clay pigeons with it. need to obtain an SGC to do so?

As opposed to, which would he need, an SGC or a FAC?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

You can only use ball/slug in a smoothbore m/loader on an approved range with appropriate muzzle energy limits on the certificate of range approval ,this has been organised by the MLAGB.
    So if you have a m/l shotgun you cannot have a blat at a wandering fox using a solid projectile when out on the farm.
    Also if you want to shoot an antique shotgun it has to be on a sgc also an antique with a rifled barrel needs to go onto an fac
    Last edited by acmsarh; 30-03-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks, Acmsarh, that answers it!

What about if a Wife had it as a wallhanger and loaned it to me for 72 hours to shoot on my sgc?
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    What about if a Wife had it as a wallhanger and loaned it to me for 72 hours to shoot on my sgc?
    If you want to shoot it it must be registered on a shotgun certificate (not necessarily yours) as a shotgun ie: in the firearms system

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    You can have it as a wallhanger and shoot it infrequently, in theory you could even lend it to yourself for up to 72 hours without paperwork, but not frequently or it's wallhanger status becomes questionable. The wife idea sounds almost credible, she could have no intent to shoot it at all.

I had a delay on my coterminous renewal, they didn't care so long as they had the money. I asked, 'What if I get stopped?'. They replied, "When did you last get stopped?'

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I was thinking in the sense of, would an owner of an antique ML shotgun, who legally puchased it as a wallhanger, but then decided he wanted to hunt or shoot clay pigeons with it. need to obtain an SGC to do so?
    He'd probably know someone with a SGC at the clayshoot who could borrow his wallhanger for the morning then let him have a go with it. He's not allowed to wander off with it though, they have to stay together.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    Also if you want to shoot an antique shotgun it has to be on a sgc also an antique with a rifled barrel needs to go onto an fac
    Almost

If you want to shoot it frequently it has to be on SGC/FAC.

I have shot wallhanger muskets, rifles and pistols belonging to other people that were simply being tried out. No point in FAC'ing them if they don't shoot straight or aren't a hoot to shoot. Before letting someone have a go, the big proviso is that they are a paid up MLAGB member so they are covered by the club insurance for that meeting.

Have a look at Firearms Home office guidance to the police ,ANTIQUES Chapter 8 section 4 ,It states there that The intent to fire the gun concerned even with blank charge or ammunition would take it beyond the terms of curiosity or ornament , This does not preclude the possession of such firearms on certificate for the purpose of collection or occasional use,
    Also to fire a antique "wall hanger" without having it checked for safety is a recipe to null and void any insurance if it lets go after many years of neglect.
    If want to shoot it at all it ceases to become an antique ornament or curio and is subject to s1/sgc requirements ,Although the chances are very slim that you will be checked by plod it does happen , Most club rules will also state that all firearms used must be in good condition and in proof if not the insurance company's solicitor's would chew you or the club to bit's in court.
    Last edited by acmsarh; 01-04-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    This does not preclude the possession of such firearms on certificate for the purpose of collection or occasional use
    That is poorly worded. Obviously if it is on certificate you can use it as much as you like. 'Occasional use' is a separate thing that is not precluded.

All the time it hangs on the wall you don't require any certificate. But you need it to be on an FAC or SGC BEFORE you fire it. There is no allowance for testing or seeing if it's worth bothering with. That's the law. I have first hand experience of this due to my putting on and taking off of my SGC my 9" punt gun. This allowed me to use the gun for the season and then hang it on the wall out of season.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Before letting someone have a go, the big proviso is that they are a paid up MLAGB member so they are covered by the club insurance for that meeting.
    I am, even though I don't reside in the UK. It's a great organization and I love their publication, BLACK POWDER: just got the current issue in the mail today.

Jim