Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Cannon

Miniature Cannon

I thought that I would let you know that a few interested people have got together and formed a club to shoot miniature cannon. We shoot at two different ranges - one has 25 and 50 metre ranges, and has a calibre limit of .75", the other has 100 and 200 metre ranges, and doesn't have a calibre limit - only a muzzle energy limit (7000 joules). We have lots of different types of cannon - from a tiny .36", to lots of .50" and .75" models, to one 1.75" golf ball shooting naval deck gun.

We are located in the Midlands and Bristol area, and if anybody is interested, please let me know.

supermag Guest
    Shame that I am too far away, that sounds fun. What's the maximum range of a golf ball?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Talk about far away (for me! ) I have a 1/4 scale model of an American Civil War era gun, on naval carriage. I never fired it, though: never drilled out the vent hole. I just used it as a prop to talk to the tourists at the Battle of New Orleans reenactments.

We DID fire the Park Service's 6 and 12 pounders, though.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

no too miniature

i have a 1.75 bore cannon on ticket don't get out often.
    but when i do what a bang 1/4lb of black makes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIo7E...eature=related

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by troddenmasses View Post
    We are located in the Midlands and Bristol area, and if anybody is interested, please let me know.
    I live in the Midlands and I've made a 1/10 scale 24-pounder (.56" cal) on a naval carriage, for which I too haven't drilled the touchhole through.

I'd be interested to shoot it, but I'm concerned that if I do so and put the thing on-ticket, I won't be able to take it off or pass it to my sons, who don't shoot, without going through a helluva rigmarole to get it certified deactivated.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post

Richard
    Very nice - is that on a shotgun cert so you can plink wherever you have permission? It looks like a hell of a bang. Most of our stuff is quite short, so has to go onto an FAC - meaning ranges only - hence starting up the club.

I live in the Midlands and I've made a 1/10 scale 24-pounder (.56" cal) on a naval carriage, for which I too haven't drilled the touchhole through.

I'd be interested to shoot it, but I'm concerned that if I do so and put the thing on-ticket, I won't be able to take it off or pass it to my sons, who don't shoot, without going through a helluva rigmarole to get it certified deactivated.
    Sounds rather nice - it's a tough decision. How long is it? Could it be put onto a shotgun cert, meaning it would be much easier for your sons to keep? Once you drill that touch hole it would certainly be a real bugger to get back off ticket - I have quite a few in different calibres - some I have drilled the touch hole on, so are on ticket and live in my cabinet - some either have no hole, or a blind touch hole so that they can live on the side in my office.

One person sent me a pm asking about licensing troubles - I thought that I would post a reply here for all to see. In essence, these are just M/L pistols that are fired from a static position, so shouldn't attract any more attention - unfortunately, some FEO's seem to think that we will be starting the next civil war with them. The biggest hurdle seems to be 'good reason'. This is the main reason that we started the organisation - to show the many different firearms departments around the country that we were serious about 'target' shooting with these things. As soon as we told our firearms department that we were members of the NCAGB, and that we were holding regular target shooting competitions (whether anybody hits the target or not - actually they can be surprisingly accurate), we found that any restrictions just fell away.

As soon as we told our firearms department that we were members of the NCAGB, and that we were holding regular target shooting competitions (whether anybody hits the target or not - actually they can be surprisingly accurate), we found that any restrictions just fell away.
    What's the NCAGB?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What's the NCAGB?
    Sorry - my fault, I thought i'd referenced it in my first post. The 'National Cannon association of Great Britain'. Simply a group of people who wanted to get together to fire miniature cannons, and found that people were standing in the way - saying that as there was no association or club to do this at, we didn't have 'good reason' to own the firearms, and therefore weren't allowed. So we formed an organisation to promote target shooting with small cannons - easy. We have a basic web page - http://www.ncagb.com which should be brought up to date over the next few weeks.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to shoot a lot of full bore, and got invovled with some army and navy shooting competitions. We shot against a bunch of Americans who talked about shooting cannon back home - used coke cans filled with concrete as the projectile and shoot at long range targets in the desert. I've always wanted to give that a go.... Not sure Surrey Constabulary would approve though.

McT

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    used coke cans filled with concrete as the projectile and shoot at long range targets in the desert. I've always wanted to give that a go.... Not sure Surrey Constabulary would approve though.
    Why on earth not? Target shooting is target shooting. If a coke can is 2.5" diameter and 4.8" tall, filled with concrete would work out at about 3kg. If you shot that at one of the ranges we have access to (no calibre limits, only a 7000 joule limit), you would be limited to 880ft/sec - about the normal velocity of a .44 revolver ball.
    All you would have to do is apply for a slot for a 2.5" calibre 'muzzle loading cannon' for target shooting. Unfortunately, being over 2" diameter, you won't be able to put it onto a shotgun certificate. I would be tempted not to mention the nature of your projectile - that bit is up to you. Sounds fun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post

Richard
    I'll say! When we were involved with the Baratarian cannon crew, we shot (usually) half pound, (occasionally) 3/4 pound charges - NO projectiles - but this was from a huge, 6 pounder tube.

1/4 lb. charges from a miniature is pretty hefty! Are you shooting projectiles?

Jim

Why on earth not? Target shooting is target shooting. If a coke can is 2.5" diameter and 4.8" tall, filled with concrete would work out at about 3kg. If you shot that at one of the ranges we have access to (no calibre limits, only a 7000 joule limit), you would be limited to 880ft/sec - about the normal velocity of a .44 revolver ball.
    All you would have to do is apply for a slot for a 2.5" calibre 'muzzle loading cannon' for target shooting. Unfortunately, being over 2" diameter, you won't be able to put it onto a shotgun certificate. I would be tempted not to mention the nature of your projectile - that bit is up to you. Sounds fun, though.
    You'd need to have a great backdrop, though.

Jim

Sorry - my fault, I thought i'd referenced it in my first post. The 'National Cannon association of Great Britain'. Simply a group of people who wanted to get together to fire miniature cannons, and found that people were standing in the way - saying that as there was no association or club to do this at, we didn't have 'good reason' to own the firearms, and therefore weren't allowed. So we formed an organisation to promote target shooting with small cannons - easy. We have a basic web page - http://www.ncagb.com which should be brought up to date over the next few weeks.
    Best wishes for the new venture! You need to get together with the MLAGB - Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain - and with the Sealed Knot Society, and other English Civil War groups.

The biggest problem with shooting miniature cannon - other than finding a safe and suitable place to do so - has been the bad -occasionally horrific - publicity generated by the garage gunsmith types, who operate on the theory that any metal pipe is suitable for a cannon barrel.

The accompanying explosions, with sometimes fatal or maiming injuries, don't help our sport!

Jim

edbear2 Guest
    now this is a miniature cannon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7612720070636/

Barrel is from a pre-war Webley .177 pistol, breech is screw fitted to barrel and is machined from 4140 alloy steel, with a n.a.s spec steel breech plug.

Made about 28 years ago, when It accounted for several Britain's lead soldiers in a spectacular fashion....

no too miniature

yes its on section 2 so i can shoot anywhere with permission max load is 2lb shot and 1/4lb black i have made a black powder Coehorn Mortar this has a bore of 57mm and is cast iron i have the patten and can get them cast in gun metal as well i have not drilled the touch hole as this will be on FAC i also have the patten for my cannon and can get some cast if anyone is interested but they are not cheap as the barrel weigh's 180lb and the price of brass is up at the mo

Richard WRCC

(west riding cannon club)
    http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...nluvy/cannons/
    Last edited by rickosf; 03-04-2010 at 08:05 PM.