Quote Originally Posted by troddenmasses View Post
Yes, you are absolutely correct - they are great fun. Legally (in the UK, of course) they are the same as any other muzzle loading firearm. If the bore is under 2", and it is over 24" long, then it can go onto a section 2 - shotgun certificate. That makes things really easy, and you can shoot them wherever you have permission (within the normal shotgun legalitites).

If you want something over 2" bore (like the fantastic coke can idea), or shorted than 24" (like all of my stuff) then it has to go onto a section 1 (firearm certificate) with all of the normal messing around that requires. First of all you need a range that will accept whatever you want to fire, then you need to prove 'good reason' and then you need to write off to your firearms dept asking for a variation for a M/L cannon. The reason for setting up the NCAGB (www.ncagb.com) was to help with those things. First of all, we have a couple of ranges that are happy (and insured) to accept miniature cannons. Secondly, by organising proper target shooting comps we can demonstrate 'good reason'. Thirdly, by being a 'proper' organisation, we can assist with firearms departments when they decide to make up the law to suit themselves, and show that other counties have accepted them. Gloucestershire is well known for being difficult and a bit 'stuck in the mud' with anything new, but after a bit of fighting and letter writing, they have accepted cannons onto FAC's.
I tip my hat to the NCAGB! You guys represent exactly what British shooters need: someone taking the initiative for shooters, pushing the frontiers forward!

Jim