Sounds fun, what's the legal?
    are they on FAC if so what section?
    how hard is it to get the right ticket?

Thanks Ora

Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    Sounds fun, what's the legal?
    are they on FAC if so what section?
    how hard is it to get the right ticket?
    Yes, you are absolutely correct - they are great fun. Legally (in the UK, of course) they are the same as any other muzzle loading firearm. If the bore is under 2", and it is over 24" long, then it can go onto a section 2 - shotgun certificate. That makes things really easy, and you can shoot them wherever you have permission (within the normal shotgun legalitites).

If you want something over 2" bore (like the fantastic coke can idea), or shorted than 24" (like all of my stuff) then it has to go onto a section 1 (firearm certificate) with all of the normal messing around that requires. First of all you need a range that will accept whatever you want to fire, then you need to prove 'good reason' and then you need to write off to your firearms dept asking for a variation for a M/L cannon. The reason for setting up the NCAGB (www.ncagb.com) was to help with those things. First of all, we have a couple of ranges that are happy (and insured) to accept miniature cannons. Secondly, by organising proper target shooting comps we can demonstrate 'good reason'. Thirdly, by being a 'proper' organisation, we can assist with firearms departments when they decide to make up the law to suit themselves, and show that other counties have accepted them. Gloucestershire is well known for being difficult and a bit 'stuck in the mud' with anything new, but after a bit of fighting and letter writing, they have accepted cannons onto FAC's.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    now this is a miniature cannon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7612720070636/

Barrel is from a pre-war Webley .177 pistol, breech is screw fitted to barrel and is machined from 4140 alloy steel, with a n.a.s spec steel breech plug.

Made about 28 years ago, when It accounted for several Britain's lead soldiers in a spectacular fashion....
    Section 2 or Section 1?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post
    yes its on section 2 so i can shoot anywhere with permission max load is 2lb shot and 1/4lb black i have made a black powder Coehorn Mortar this has a bore of 57mm and is cast iron i have the patten and can get them cast in gun metal as well i have not drilled the touch hole as this will be on FAC i also have the patten for my cannon and can get some cast if anyone is interested but they are not cheap as the barrel weigh's 180lb and the price of brass is up at the mo

Richard WRCC

(west riding cannon club)
    http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...nluvy/cannons/
    The WRCC needs to affiliate with the NCAGB.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by troddenmasses View Post
    Yes, you are absolutely correct - they are great fun. Legally (in the UK, of course) they are the same as any other muzzle loading firearm. If the bore is under 2", and it is over 24" long, then it can go onto a section 2 - shotgun certificate. That makes things really easy, and you can shoot them wherever you have permission (within the normal shotgun legalitites).

If you want something over 2" bore (like the fantastic coke can idea), or shorted than 24" (like all of my stuff) then it has to go onto a section 1 (firearm certificate) with all of the normal messing around that requires. First of all you need a range that will accept whatever you want to fire, then you need to prove 'good reason' and then you need to write off to your firearms dept asking for a variation for a M/L cannon. The reason for setting up the NCAGB (www.ncagb.com) was to help with those things. First of all, we have a couple of ranges that are happy (and insured) to accept miniature cannons. Secondly, by organising proper target shooting comps we can demonstrate 'good reason'. Thirdly, by being a 'proper' organisation, we can assist with firearms departments when they decide to make up the law to suit themselves, and show that other counties have accepted them. Gloucestershire is well known for being difficult and a bit 'stuck in the mud' with anything new, but after a bit of fighting and letter writing, they have accepted cannons onto FAC's.
    I tip my hat to the NCAGB! You guys represent exactly what British shooters need: someone taking the initiative for shooters, pushing the frontiers forward!

Jim

Been reading this thread with great interest, and just had to ask. How big is your gun cabinet?

Having seen some of the videos on You tube, cannons look like great fun!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Been reading this thread with great interest, and just had to ask. How big is your gun cabinet?

Well, I can only actually get into one of the nine cabinets. Most of the miniature cannons actually go into a pistol cabinet - without the carriage and wheels of course. I have a friend who has a modern version of a nepolionic cannon - full scale - it travels on a 4 wheel Ifor Williams trailer, but that just lives locked in the garage - it's about 3 tonnes so a little large to be putting into a cabinet.

I'm very much a believer in finding solutions rather than problems. We all know that the firearms laws in the UK are daft, but I try very hard to find legal methods to get what I want - for example, I REALLY wanted one of these

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ruger-102...num-p-571.html

so that I could do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw970lgZjUo

and couldn't see a reason why not. After months of letters backwards and forwards to different people (mainly at the Home Office), I have had confirmation that it would be section 1 if it was built with a small modification, so guess what is on my lathe at the moment........

I salute your ingenuity and perseverance.

Again they look like great fun, but what would you use as a reason to own?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

This is great. Once I finish my current project, I'll Now be building a cannon next. Thinking of making it so that it fires golf balls. (not researched it yet!)

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ruger-102...num-p-571.html

Customers who bought this product also bought: Pirate Sword - Spring Loaded.

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Again they look like great fun, but what would you use as a reason to own?
    It kind of depends who is asking - it's either

1. Target shooting (after all, it's just a .22RF semi auto firearm - same as millions of others out there)

2. Because I want one, and the law says it's fine.

This is great. Once I finish my current project, I'll Now be building a cannon next. Thinking of making it so that it fires golf balls. (not researched it yet!)
    Excellent - if you need a hand with any of the research, just let me know. I have thin+ thick cylinder calculations to work out just how thick the steel needs to be to contain the bang. Personally, I like to multiply that by 5-10 times to make me happy to stand next to it when it's being fired.

Personally, I like to multiply that by 5-10 times to make me happy to stand next to it when it's being fired.
    I fully agree. (or get someone else yo try it first) ONLY KIDDING

Thanks for your offer. I think I'm up to a year away from finishing my current project although I'm going to aim to finish it over the summer, when it's warm in the garage/workshop.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Damn that looks like FUN. I'd like to see that in action.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

not too miniature

What im relay looking for is a section of rifled barrel about 4foot long and about 75mm to make me a parrot gun something along the lines of

http://www.hatchergun.com/Cannons/Pa...Finished_1.JPG

Then I can do some proper target shooting

what did you say you range is passed for

Has anyone got a scaled down version
    or are all you miniature smooth bore

richard WRCC

Let's hope it's inward scoring. If you were being outward scored, you be dropping a lot of points. Lol.

Other issues would be finding a gun slip big enough!