Thread: YUKON 100MIL Spotting Scope .

YUKON 100MIL Spotting Scope .

A few years back i bought a Yukon 20+50 by 50 spotting scope . for use with my air rifle to help zeroing . plus some bird spotting ( not the feathered type ) and to use on my hols . £ 75 at the time . it was robust . easy to carry and on the lower mags quite good . but once you got up to 50 mag . noway , to dark . so i bought a swift 10 to 60 spotting scope off e-bay . came with a tripod and carry case . £ 65 . yes much better . but still on the top mags too dark . so i was looking through the list of spotting scopes again last week and came across the yukon 100 mil . bit of a strange looking bird altogether .it has two lenses . one on top of the other the smaller one goes from 6 to 25 mag . the main lenses goes from 25 to 100 mag . now they reckon you need a mil of lense for every 1 mag . so this would seem about right . but obviously for the £ 240 that amazon are asking you are not gonna get a S&B . but the way i saw it , was with a 100 mil lense if i use it on 50 mag , it should be all right . ? so i sent my order off and received it yesterday . had a play with it last night and it seemed quite good . on the 6 to 25 mag . tried it out again to day ( no tripod yet . handheld . well rested on the back door .there is a block of flat's about a thousand yards away . a big high rise . through all the others i have had i could make out windows and the ariels on top . but not detail . first on the 25 mag . oh yes this was much better . i could easily make out some real detail . use the switch on the side to turn the big lense on and BLOOMING hell . it was like i was inside the room . that was on 50 mag . i reckon if it works on 100 . i should be having breakfast with em . did not go any further cos it would be like being a peeping tom . turned it over to the smaller lense and on 25 mag i could make out the very small flower patterns inside the flowers petals at 50 yards ( approx ) for the money i really don't think you can beat it . comes with a carry case . is quite light . but bulky . and a sun shade . will let you know how it goes at the club tomorrow . scimtar .
    Last edited by scimitar; 02-04-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Today .

took the yukon down the club today and gave it a test of sorts . rested it on my bean bag on the zero range and looked out to the top of the field . i thought it was 400 yards away . but trying to range the big oak at the top of the field with my rangefinder, noway . it would have none of it . now the rangefinder is good for 400 yards . so by ranging a tree near the bottom of the field at 200 yards i reckon that the oak was three times that distance . so roughly 600 yards . right , onto the lowest lense at 25 mag . i could clearly make out the branches and bark pattern . up to 50 mag and onto the big lense .now could see the individual branches and some of the buds on em . a bird in the foreground could be seen feeding and the yellow beak of the crow/rook . plus his eye could be seen . now for the big test . up to 100 mag . and carefully focus in . there was a fence behing the oak . and by bringing the focus in very gently i could just make out the barbs on the wire fence . the weather was rainy/sunny . with quite a bit of cloud . but quite bright . looking at the skyline on top mag there was some blue to be seen in the lense . but not terrible . what did impress me was the detail you could see closer in on 50 mag .allright you do not get the colours that you would see with leica .but the detail . yes superb . next test is the full moon ??? scimitar .

Moon ?

tried it out on the moon at last and up to 80 mag it worked fine . beyond that it was a bit to much for it . all in all for the money it is excellent , recomended ??? scimitar