Thread: Classic airgun restoration: Haenel Mod 1

Classic airgun restoration: Haenel Mod 1

Hi folks,

I've got a 1927 Haenel Model 1, found hidden at the back of a barn.

Covered in surface rust and pretty tatty, but does fire.

I've never had anything to do with classic air rifles, nor have I ever ventured into the unknown of servicing my modern pcps.

But what are the first steps I have to take if I wanted to breath some life into the old girl? Bearing in mind I've never played with the technical side of airguns. Give her a good lube and see how she goes or is more complex surgury required?

Thanks,
    Graham

Re your Haenel

If it's shooting a little lube and some molly grease on the major moving parts, then attack the rust with 000 wire wool and a good mineral based fine thin oil 3in1 or the nice cheep stuff from the shed's.

Shoot then restore the stock and have a bit of fun with it,it might however be slight problem, that is old Air Guns seem to be Addictive.

GOOD SHOOTING

Inproved

The choice you have is to either go for a full restoration (ie send the gun away for a full de-rust and reblue having removed all/most of any pitting that may be present). Or, just get the gun into a presentable, safe shooting condition (probably a condition that reflects the hard life it has obviously had) and just use it and enjoy it.
    If the gun was seized, I would have removed the stock and soaked all metal parts in deisel, but as your gun is a shooter I would follow improved's advice and dismantle the gun, relube all metal parts , also checking the state of the leather piston seal.Then attack the outside of the gun with 0000 grade wire wool and mineral oil, such as 3in1. you will be amazed how much rust disappears when you do that

Maybe post pictures on how you get on?

Good luck

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 03-04-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Great advice, cheers guys Will try and get some picture up with how it progresses.