Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone interested in guns of the American Civil War?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi,jim, i have an original remington .44 army revolver ,but it does not carry any army inspection marks,i also have a 31 cal cooper 4" barrel 6 shot double action revolver[looks like a colt baby dragoon with an oversize trigger guard] which according to flaydermans is the right age and i have read somewhere the were sought after by officers as a secondary gun due to their fast rate of fire... both guns are in good working order,aside from those i have a snider action 10bore shotgun by thomas turner who made many of the sharpshooter rifles for the south,thats a cracking spencer loach[nice pics] i have a sharps buts thats a repro...thats my lot for the civil war jim only wish i was clever enough to put up some pics for you ,hope you are keeping well...cheers greasemonkey[packrat]...
    Hey GM, sounds like you're on your way to a nice little ACW arsenal.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by mat BRC View Post
    have you got any pics of the original remington .44? i love this gun, i have the replica from uberti and what sort of cash do they go for?
    Yes, wouldn't it be great to have a repro for shooting, and an original for collecting?

Though there are those who do it differently, on both counts.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I've always been interested in the American Civil war, much more than the English one - perhaps because the American one was more recent; perhaps because films about the American one are always much more entertaining than films about the English one; perhaps because of Ken Burns!

I've just bought a couple of Denix non-firing replicas from the era (since I can't have anything else, sadly) - a Navy Colt and a Le Mat, as well as a slightly later Schofield. The real thing would obviously be much nicer.

The ECW era is interesting also, but it didn't have nearly the battle action as the one on this side of the pond.

Ken Burns documentary: wasn't that GREAT? It was so well done that it wasn't until the end, when they showed about the only piece of moving picture footage in the whole series (a short aerial view of a battlefield), that the thought hit me: all these hours, I've been watching old photographs accompanied by voice-over narrations!

I was stunned to see, when it was all over, what Ken Burns looked like: like a little kid!

I look something like a balder, fatter, less handsome version of Shelby Foote.

When my wife and I evacuated to the Memphis area after Katrina - now 5 years ago: how time flies - we tried to find Foote's grave, but didn't have too much time to look, and weren't successful.

We did make a quick pilgrimage to Nathan Bedford Forrest's grave. It's in a rather neglected park in an iffy neighborhood on the edge of downtown Memphis.

Jim

Yes, quite possibly the best documentary ever made - I can watch it again and again. The moving footage of the veterans at an early 20th century reunion was also interesting to see. Ken Burns - and credit to PBS - has made a lot of good documentaries, but none as intensely interesting as "The Civil War". We're slowly making our way through "The West" at the moment but, while interesting, I don't find it as gripping.

The Wife really likes it to. We'd love to do a tour of the battle fields. Perhaps one day...

We have so much more history here that we take for granted!

I'd love a le mat. Take a look at the review of the repro one in this month's gun mart. Fantastic concept having a cylinder revolving round a shotgun barrel and I'm sure it would have been very useful when it came to the final scrap!

Quote Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

We have so much more history here that we take for granted!
    That's for sure! But people everywhere tend to take for granted what they have around them.

When my wife and I visited England we thought it was funny - yet sad - that local people would sometimes ask us "why did we come here? There's nothing here worth seeing!"

No, only thousands of years of history!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    I'd love a le mat. Take a look at the review of the repro one in this month's gun mart. Fantastic concept having a cylinder revolving round a shotgun barrel and I'm sure it would have been very useful when it came to the final scrap!
    There's an original one on display at the Civil War Museum here. (Used to be the Confederate Museum, till they decided to become politically correct. And it hasn't helped attendance. )

They were big, heavy monsters, though. Pretty much restricted to the cavalry: too heavy for an infantry or artilleryman to lug around on his hip.

Jim