Thread: BSA Lightning XL experience

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

BSA Lightning XL experience

Just thought I'd share my experience of purchasing a new BSA Lightning XL air rifle....

I had been reading the mags and seen the XL tactical and the wood stocked XL's and thought Ooh, I like them.
    Can't make my mind up which, So off to my local dealer who had both in stock in my preferred .177 flavour.
    Whilst demonstrating them the poor dealer finds the wood stocked one won't cock unless the safety is on.
    this isn't right - so that makes the choice for me and the deal is done on the tactical...

Anyway I get it home and find that the stock has a horrible long dent in it behind the safety.
    Now I've seen enough review models to know this isn't right...

Not only that, but the breech has not been finished at all which makes it impossible to seat pellets with your thumb and leaves about 0.5 to 1mm of skirt sticking out and loses 1-2ft/lb unless you seat the pellets into the rifling (laughably BSA Storm pellets are the worst )

So a quick call to the dealer gets an apology and the promise of another gun...
    The replacement rifle arrived today and guess what - it's got the same long dent, which having done a bit of reseach is obviously now a poor cover-up for a mould modification for the safety catch postion on either or both the ultra or scorpion rifles and to add insult to injury a chunk of blueing is missing on the top of the main cylinder just behind the breech (no-one will notice it there eh Juan?)

So thats 3 guns all unsaleable - to say I'm disappointed in what Gamo have done to what was a great company is an understatement, rather than BSA having a positive influence on Gamo - its quite the opposite it seems - I wanted to buy the gun but if Gamo think I'll accept unsightly marks like that in a plastic stock - think again my friends -I wouldn't if it was a wood stock, why would the synthetic one be any different and Senor Gamo the best rifling in the world is wasted if you can't be bothered to finish the breech properly

Thankfully the dealer was excellent and refunded me without a quibble...not exactly what I was expecting given the glowing praise the rifle has recieved in the airgun press (perhaps rifles should be tested at random from the shops rather than supplied for test...)
    Last edited by harvey_s; 02-01-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling