Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BSA Lightning XL experience

veni74 Guest
    I bought a new bsa lightning about 6 weeks ago, it was a botch the system didnt sit in the stock properly (the trigger was sat to the right of the trigger guard) the breech block was ground down to bare steel on cocking it so i took it back and bought a hw95k that i am totally happy with!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by veni74 View Post
    I bought a new bsa lightning about 6 weeks ago, the breech block was ground down to bare steel on cocking it
    Yep that's what happened to mine
    it cut so clean it was bare shiny steel and looked a mess
    unless it was a keeper,it wouldn't hold much price if traded on.
    I got a hw97 next,but by far prefer the 77.

!)

A guy at my club is now on his 3rd mainspring in only 8 months for his Spanish built 0.177 Tactical XL.I had a P/H Stiker which never missed a beat and I regret letting it go

Guns like the Striker and the little Cometta 400 Fenix carbine are cheaper and do the same job as the BSA`s (and if the nylon trigger blade on the Fenix worries you [even though it not a load bearing componant,it only tips the sear],you can get a spare from Chambers for about 8 quid!)

Harry
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22
    Weihrauch HW80; 0.22 (1987.)
    Beeman P17/HW40 "hybrid" pistol; 0.177

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Ha..!

Finally sorted it...Take one Brum Built Parker Hale Striker (basically a BSA Lightning with a screw-cut barrel and a Parker Hale MM1 supressor) add one brand new style tactical stock (with 'Made in Birmingham' on the side and no crappyness around the safety catch ) and now I've got actually want I wanted in the first place...

What do you think?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...95503/sizes/l/

Or the beauty of a screw-cut barrel is other styles are available....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...29709/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...29949/sizes/l/
    Last edited by harvey_s; 07-07-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Funnily enough, I have an old supersport on its way to me with a parker hale silencer on it, and depending on how i get on with it i was planning to get a tactical stock for it. I'm presuming that a lightning stock will fit a supersport, but will confim with bsa first. Cool pics on the post above, esp with the ph silencer at the top...

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Funnily enough, I have an old supersport on its way to me with a parker hale silencer on it, and depending on how i get on with it i was planning to get a tactical stock for it. I'm presuming that a lightning stock will fit a supersport, but will confim with bsa first. Cool pics on the post above, esp with the ph silencer at the top...
    They already do one....see here : http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/sgun_supersport.php

But it's export only, one can only assume it's not sold here as it would eat into the sales of a more profitable model (Lightning XL)

And to think that I was pretty chuffed with myself for coming up with my original idea! Well, that answers my question about the stock fitting a supersport...

i think the bsa tactical xl is a good gun nice to hold and accurate and i get good grouping size up to 25 yards

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Ha..!

Finally sorted it...Take one Brum Built Parker Hale Striker (basically a BSA Lightning with a screw-cut barrel and a Parker Hale MM1 supressor) add one brand new style tactical stock (with 'Made in Birmingham' on the side and no crappyness around the safety catch ) and now I've got actually want I wanted in the first place...

What do you think?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...95503/sizes/l/

Or the beauty of a screw-cut barrel is other styles are available....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...29709/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...29949/sizes/l/

Looking good, What was the total cost?

Less than an new XL lightning tactical.....

Why don't we all send our complaints to BSA so that they are aware of the problems, and can fix it.
    We all know what the solution is, bring back the manufacturing AND assembling to the UK (Birmingham), and innovate in a proper twostage fully adjustable trigger, and last but not least strengthen the QC.

It's sad to see a once so great company going down hill fast.

Regards, Bart
    on every action comes a reaction

what does britain make thats good anymore?

shame to hear this I own an older style lightning (I believe it was made in brum.) I cant fault it at 30 yards the groupings are as good as my tx200hc. Its a bit down on power now after tons of tins put through it but still perfroming 10 years on. Im uspet to hear they are not even built to last leaving the shop.

I was seriously considering getting one of these a couple of months ago - glad I didn't!

Hello All. I am a new member here, I will do a proper introduction soon, but just wanted to ask: I've been thinking about getting an XL but I'm not so sure after reading all this thread. The appeal is the silencer, size/weight and the fact that a gas ram can be retrofitted.

So if this is best avoided, what should I get for a similar price that can be upgraded to a gas ram at some future date?

many thanks,

Arum

Bsa

I think that the XL and tactical were both quite good guns. However i wonder if there is a conspiracy at work with GAMO since buying up the major competitor at this price range......
    The drop off in quality is reported to be pretty bad even from store owners, yet Gamo has paradoxically raised the quality of its own design air weapons which were once very average at best......you might remember the poor Sniper and Apache models as example....think about it.