Thread: Rear sights for BSA Mk III

Question Rear sights for BSA Mk III

Does anyone know of any available adaptors to fit modern rear sights on to a BSA Martini Mk III ?

I have a Mk III with a Freeland sight on it which is pretty much useless. So there is the side mount for a PH25B sight and also the top mount for the Freeland sight. Could use either of them...

An Anschutz sight would just about slide on to the top rear mount but it needed longer bolts to tighten it, and even when it was on I couldn't get the elevation on it.

Alternatively, if anyone has a PH25B sight lying around they don't want, I'm happy to discuss new ownership!

Thanks.

sight

Hi
    I have a parker Hale sight,it came of a BSA but not sure what model.
    It fit's to the right hand side of the action on to a short rail ,
    possible of a left handed Rifle ?
    The mod number PH25AL,it is in good clean conditition.
    Himself

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    I have a parker Hale sight,it came of a BSA but not sure what model.
    It fit's to the right hand side of the action on to a short rail ,
    possible of a left handed Rifle ?
    The mod number PH25AL,it is in good clean conditition.
    Hi..thanks for looking, and thanks for the offer.

That's definitely a lefty sight though, so unfortunately I couldn't use it.

Ask and ye shall receive though, and Im now in proud possession of a PH25B!

Thanks.

Fim.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fimbulvetr View Post
    Hi..thanks for looking, and thanks for the offer.

That's definitely a lefty sight though, so unfortunately I couldn't use it.

Ask and ye shall receive though, and Im now in proud possession of a PH25B!

Thanks.

Fim.
    Hi. Thank's for the reply,pleased you got sorted.
    Himself

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I've been wondering the same. I used to shoot with a Martini, but I no longer have the rifle. The club I have joined have several (in various states of repair), but none has a rear sight.

Did you ever manage to make a sight adapter? It would seem doable to me. Not a particularly difficult design, but getting the tolerances right would need someone with good milling / metalworking capabilities and equipment. I don't think a 3d printer would cut it

It has been done, but you need to look at the bore to sight distance and adjust the foresight height to match. TBH, given the age of the BSA martini action and their lack of stock adjustment I would question whether it’s worth expending much effort on modification. They do make reasonable club bench rest rifles; there are receiver mounted scope bases available; but in all honesty I feel their days as prone rifles are over. There are much better options out there at reasonable prices. Having said that, PH25 rearsights are around and if you can pick them up for £20-30 it might be a reasonable short term option.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    It has been done, but you need to look at the bore to sight distance and adjust the foresight height to match. TBH, given the age of the BSA martini action and their lack of stock adjustment I would question whether it’s worth expending much effort on modification. They do make reasonable club bench rest rifles; there are receiver mounted scope bases available; but in all honesty I feel their days as prone rifles are over. There are much better options out there at reasonable prices. Having said that, PH25 rearsights are around and if you can pick them up for £20-30 it might be a reasonable short term option.

Rutty
    Thanks for that. Yes, if I could find a PH25 for that sort of money it would be worth giving it a go. I'm probably (am) being quite nostalgic about my old rifle, and there's no guarantee that another Martini would make me shoot any better. Long term picking up a decent used Anschutz is probably the sensible option.

Best wishes,
    Iain