Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 budget scopes compared…..

3 budget scopes compared…..

Hello gang. I am rationalising and reducing my kit at the moment and took a peek through a JSR scope I had not used for a while (which reminded my how clear and bright it is for the money). So I took the opportunity to do a quick comparison of some of my budget scopes.

Compared were a JSR 3-9x40AO/IR/Mildot; a Hawke Airmax 2-7x32AO/Map6 & a Nikko Gold Crown 3-9x42AO/IR/Mildot. The only one I have had from brand new is the JSR which was bought for me by my lovely wife.

All scopes were set at 7x mag and 25yds AO for the purpose of my testing this evening. I will mark them out of five in six sections giving a maximum score of 30.

Clarity
    All scopes were pretty close with perhaps the JSR and Nikko edging the Hawke. So points are…
    JSR 4.0
    Nikko 4.0
    Hawke 3.5

Colour rendition
    Again all scopes were pretty close this time with no clear winner so all are awarded 4 points.

Brightness/Light gathering
    The JSR is slightly better than the Nikko which is better than the Hawke. I expected the Hawke to be a little worse given its smaller objective lense.
    JSR 4.5
    Nikko 4.0
    Hawke 3.5

Ret
    The Hawke has the closest aim points which work well for HFT in my experience. The Nikko has fairly close mildots which are of use. The JSR has the widest aim points and are of limited use for HFT but it is finer and little clearer than the other rets.
    Hawke 4.5
    Nikko 4.0
    JSR 3.5

Turrets
    The Nikko turrets are finger adjustable target type turrets under screw caps. The JSR has target type turrets which are again finger adjustable and lockable with an allen key. Finally the Hawke has a finger adjustable target type top turret and a finger adjustable side turret under a screw cap. I have listed them in my order of preference and will score accordingly.
    Nikko 5.0
    JSR 4.5
    Hawke 3.5

Features/Extras
    The JSR comes with lots of goodies including flip ups, sunshade etc. The Nikko, if bought new, comes with a 1 piece mount etc. The Hawke does not come with the IR of the other two and limited goodies but can be set up with the Hawke equivalent of chairgun.
    JSR 5.0
    Nikko 4.5
    Hawke 4.0

So overall the scores on the doors are…..(if my maths works at this time of night)

Nikko 25.5
    JSR 25.5
    Hawke 22

If you exclude the score for the extras things are very close indeed and I would find it hard to choose between them. If you were looking for a smaller scope the Hawke is the one for you. If you are not fussed about close aim points then the JSR is the business. The Nikko feels a little bit better constructed overall. I will keep all three for now.

One final thing that may decide it for you is this. On the Hawke the cross hair barely moves on the target if you move your head. The same cannot be said of the other two. However I believe this may be what is called parallax error and might have been negated if I had fine tuned the AO rings???
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    Nice review, thanks.

Interesting review, I think the JSRs are excellent for the money- but the reticles on the illuminated models often seem to be too thick, otherwise, with good quality & all the extras they are always going to be near the top of the list.

Hi Orbiter

The ret on my JSR is etched, I don't think the other two are. The JSR seems a little finer and sharper to me. But we all have a different pair of eyes and what works for one does not always work for another shooter

good review

especially new to the sport - very informative and well written
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Good review.

I've had a JSR and a HAwke before. Similar specs.

From my untrained eye, pretty similar and both good for my budget setup.

very interesting as im looking for a budjet scope thanks

3 budget scopes compared

Thank you.

You have been of great help to me with choosing a new scope.

The movement of the crosshair when moving your head is indeed called parallax error and if using these scopes for HFT you would need to choose one with as little parallax error as possible.

That's why HFT scope choice is just as big a minefield as choosing a FT scope...probably even bigger.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Funnily enough........

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    The movement of the crosshair when moving your head is indeed called parallax error and if using these scopes for HFT you would need to choose one with as little parallax error as possible.

That's why HFT scope choice is just as big a minefield as choosing a FT scope...probably even bigger.
    .....I have only used the Hawke once for HFT and increased my PB from 53 to 58

scopes

i have a set of jsr's and there mint for the cash
    ps nice reveiw

Thanks for this review, it's really helped
    Adam

How much were these budget scopes and are these suitable for shooting vermin

good review my friend

Hmmm

Having read the right honourable Jim Tyler's article on setting up scopes to reduce parallax error I may have to redo the set up of these three and update the review......if the toddler and baby ever allow me the time

Cheers Rich