Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 budget scopes compared…..

I have the "same" JSR 40m AO IR scope and have been extremely impressed by it's ability in low light clarity in comparison a with a number of other "low end" branded scopes including a Hawke Nite-eye, a Simmons WTC and a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster. I was so impressed I bought an equivalent JSR 50mm, but sent it back because it wasn't as good in low light as the 40mm. However I did buy another JSR 40mm secondhand and it seems almost as good in low light as the orginal* and has closer, and therefore more usefully, spaced mildots. I use the original JSR with a Merlin NV add-on and it works pretty well, despite not being side focus. I know from the position of the flip-up roughly what distance it is focused at even in the dark and the Merlin alows a degree of fine tuning on focus. I just have to avoid the flip-up obscurring the light beam from the IR laser illuminator!

*I do sometimes wonder how much varaiaton there is between scopes of the same brand and model (i.e. nominally identical scopes). Some variation might partially explain why some people have better experiences with one scope than another person might have with the same model.

I tried the Jim Tyler test for parallax error on all of my scopes and it seems I had the original JSR set up almost perfectly (with the occular lens more or less fully screwed down to one end of its adjustment). On the other hand the Mountmaster (which is a more recent aquisition) was miles out but is now good after adjustment - I had found it a litte inconsistent before with the limited use I had with it, and now understand why. It is perhaps too easy to expect that you won't get parallax error with an AO scope, and while I had noticed it with the Mountmaster I had put it down to not being properly focused with the objective AO. Every now and again there is an article in the mags that makes it worth buying a copy!
    Hope the toddler gives you some peace Richard

A useful and well written comparison. Those considering a budget scope would also be advised to consider the new Hawke "Panorama" range. Excellent value for money in my opinion.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

The review in a lot of places of these JSR scopes are generally very good, I will be considering one for my next scope. This is a very well written review, Thanks!