Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the FWB Sport?

What's wrong with the FWB Sport?

I am a great fan of the FWB 65 and 300S, so it seems only right that I add a Sport to my collection to complete the Holy Trinity.

Before I save up for one, I would like to ensure I'm not letting myself in for a nightmare. I have read about the following potential problems:

1. Dodgy breech lock-up
    2. Harsh, scope killing recoil
    3. Dodgy safety catches

To what extent are the above problems true? How easy are they to remedy? Are there any others I should be aware of?

Is there a significant difference in the shooting experience between the .177 124 and the .22 127? Is one more pleasurable than the other? And finally, how much should I be paying?

Matt

I had a FWB Sport 127 (so .22), that I tuned with the Maccari Old School Arctic kit, put an insulator in it and buttoned it.
    Fantastic rifle (and build quality), only thing I still didn't like was the trigger (Also changed for the Maccari ally one), couldn't adjust it just right, and the safety is horrible, it's just a slide but doesn't give any feedback (no positive click).

The only fault on this rifle is the trigger, and safety slide, (nowhere near the 150 or 300, which is IMO the best trigger found on springers).

Regards,

Bart
    on every action comes a reaction

Sport

Hiya Matt,
    you got a lot of questions there- some I cant answer, but will try to give some input here.

Overall the quality of design and manufacture of the Sport even to this day is still far and above many other springers out there. I think most collectors, however rose tinted their specs are, will readily admit it isnt perfect however.
    I am a little doubtful on it being a scope killer though? I've had 5 of them and recoil always seems very acceptable to me? The breech lock up needs to be checked closely to esnure its good and positive. The safety carch issue is one where a repeated pull of the trigger when the safety has been engaged can in some rifles lead it to disengage and the rifle fire. I have a 127 where this is the case. I wasnt aware of this and found out thankfully with no harm done- and later read this is more common that first thought. As for remedy- well I am unsure really- there are others better qualified to comment.

Ive read that in some instances where the rifle has been unused ofr extended periods and the innards dry- this can lead to the piston head becoming perished and break down.

I do have one 124, but dont shoot it that often to make an meaningful comparisons between it and the 127s i own. All Sports have a modest recoil and a muzzle discharge that belies their power output. They really are quite a small punchy rifle with low cocking effort. Best do a trawl of sales on here and other forums to get an idea of sale values.

Like I said above- they are not perfect, but are desirable, collectable quality rifles.

good luck in your search.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Ive read that in some instances where the rifle has been unused ofr extended periods and the innards dry- this can lead to the piston head becoming perished and break down.
    What Dave said. I'd renew the piston seal if the recoil was scope-wrecking.

Also, if, in still air, you load the rifle, put a pile of talcom powder over the breech block/cylinder end block join, and take a shot, you'll know whether the breech is leaking.

For what it's worth, the Old School kit produced around 14fpe of muzzle energy, and it didn't have a lot recoil, haven't had a scope on it but I doubt it will be a scope killer certainly not at 12fpe.
    Check the seals (especially the piston seal as that one disintegrate with time), you can check if the breach seal is leaking by using the method above, although I think it's to messy.
    I you have a air compressor (10bar or so, not the one to fill airguns and dive bottles), but a piece of rubbery tape on the muzzle (with a small hole in it), and pressurize the barrel, when it's good you hear no air escaping, when you get the compressor pistol of you should hear a "pop", and you know it's good.

Regards, Bart
    on every action comes a reaction

another two (and a half) potential problems to add to your list, cracked stocks at the pistol grip and stripped threads in the trigger block caused by cross threading the trigger block retaining "bolt". The "half" is broken lugs on the safety slide caused during stripdown without the right equipment
    HTH, Vic T

There were a lot sold and so all kinds of history and all kinds of abuse The rifles have a great design, were well made with good materials and fine finish. The basics are right.

Stocks have broken but mainly down to abuse or from a fundamental flaw that anything with wood might have. No fundamental problem. The safety is basic and nothing special but then in its day no one really used them. Never trust a safety catch anyway.

Early models and different batches can have the slightest changes in tolerance and piston heads may well be needed to be tunes to get the top 12 ft/lbs. The rifle was designed for this power level and not more. Lots shoot well below what they should and its not easy to bring them up. 127's are the easier to get right as the 124's, .177's, are pushing the boat. However, the all can shoot smooth and accuracy is great for a springer. They are not very forgiving but for their weight fantastic compared to most of the usual competition of the day.

The trigger is fine but nothing great. The HW record is superb so don't try and compare them. Compared to everything else in its day the Sport was excellent. In truth it does the job and is usable.

Sports are from £120 to £250. You get a sporting rifle that points superbly, at a very field carry weight, accurate as a spring thing can be without being custom, ok field trigger. A bread and butter rifle that will always sell and spare parts and custom parts are readily available. It excels at standing shots out to 25m so power at 9.8ft\lbs or 11.9ft\lbs isn't going to make a hoot of difference to the quarry at that range. It isn't a 45m tack driver and behaves badly on the bench rest (works lovely in the field were it belongs). Lastly it is easy to cock so you can plink away for ages which you can't say with a whole lot out there. Remember if you want to be any good at standing shots you need to practice a lot.

Buy one and enjoy working out how to get the best out of it. Thats have the fun and they will reward you.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    I have owned 2 FWB 127 MK1's and found them excellent rifles one I had for over 20 years with no problems what so ever. I found the build quality excellent my ambition now is to aquire Mally Ally's beautiful Mastersport 127 . I think these rifles have to be one of the best build quality airguns ever manufactured.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Every rifle has inherent faults (if you look very closely even I have faults ) but if you know what to look for when buying and give reasonable preventative maintenance (grease on the lock up) and care when using (always hold the barrel when cocking) a good FWB Sport, with a bit of simple home tuning, should give you a lifetime of pleasure.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Safety can play up.Took mine off when it broke and dont miss it.

the FWB sport is an all time classic i have had mine 32 years from new safety catch has never worked properly took it back twice when new gave up in the end,no excessive recoil very accurate and powerfull,have only replace piston washer once replaced spring once but put old one back in because it was shooting over the limit,and a nice looking gun aswell.

Springers are harsh on scopes period. The Sport is kinder than most and similar to a heavier HW 80 or 77. Either a scope is built well enough to cope with a spring rifle's cycle of recoil and vibrations (harmonics) or isn't. Two identical scopes might cope or not. The simpler the scope the better the survival rate. Many modern scopes built to a price hate springers though are fine on the pussycat pcp's. Its why collectors favour period stuff shown to survive.

, you are probably not wrong. The 95 looks like a Mastersport custom Sport, and has that record trigger. Now to find one with some colour in the wood work.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. All much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    An HW95 handles pretty much the same.
    A new one is less than people try to sell FWB's for.
    The lock up is better on the 95
    Spares are readily available.

Won't make me popular, but just buy a 95.
    I'm sure you're right; I've often eyed the HW95 with lust. However I already have a nice HW35K to satisfy the practical side, and the Sport would fill a gap in the collection. Looking through some of the prices on the sales board though, I might lay off for a while, they do seem to attract a premium.

My 127 Sport is very well behaved.

Never a problem with the safety, although the trigger is a bit vague.

Recoil is not too bad, so not a scope-wrecker IMO.

Accuracy and consistency is superb for a gun of its vintage. If you rest the gun on a soft yielding surface (a chair cushion in my case), then it will group high quality pellets very tightly at 30+ yards.

They are easy to work on, providing you take care with the spring when you dismantle it.

Mine handles well, and is a bit unusual in that it has a bull barrel.