Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the FWB Sport?

I had a scope wrecked by a HW35E on Saturday, the scope was a 3x9x40 Hawk Eclipse in a Sportsmatch o/p mount. The HW35E was doing 8.44 on the club chrono; with a Ox in it; which will be changed to a std spring this week by my hubby. My FWB 127 does 10.5ft/ib and is a joy to shoot, low recoil, easy cocking.

Original 45's weigh a tonne! In the HW35E or 80 range. Well a good bit more than a Sport and muzzle heavy to boot. Love mine though. Different trigger altogether to a Sport or a HW record.

New modern cheap scopes hate springers however the rifles are set up. Money down the drain in my book.

I haven't had a 95 to do a head to head. Sports are just nice to shoot.... all day long. You can't say that with a whole host of other rifles. I an't shoot my Venum HW77 like my Sport.

I've said it often, don't over dress your Sport with mods and big scopes.

Original 45? Slightly lighter than the HW80 but more difficult to strip. Very angular in appearance - they look like they were designed by someone who only had a ruler and no protractor. Suspect metal quality on the barrel as Ive seen a couple bend quite easily. Trigger only adequate. IMO no where near as good as a tuned 'Sport.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

fwb sport

ok i suppose

I remember that bloke Terry Wheeler who used to win a lot of FT events in the early 80's with a .22 Original 45!! FWB sport is a gun I have never owned nor recall having a go with (so is a 45 come to think of it) but I cant think of a nicer looking custom springer than a Mastersport Stalker. I also like the look of the 45 because it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Original 45? ...IMO no where near as good as a tuned 'Sport.
    Comparing apples with oranges, Cloggy?

IIRC, Richard Welham (who knows a bit about the FWB Sport) described it as a 'scope wrecker' (or words to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    but I cant think of a nicer looking custom springer than a Mastersport Stalker.
    How about a Beeman Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Comparing apples with oranges, Cloggy?

IIRC, Richard Welham (who knows a bit about the FWB Sport) described it as a 'scope wrecker' (or words to that effect).
    While fruit isn't my speciality and Mr Welham does know his onions Ive never had scope problems with any 'Sport while I have known a couple of Original/RWS 45 with bent barrels and wasnt there a safety recall in the early days of the '45 due to safety catch problems. Regardless of this the 'Sport is still a little peach and IMO the better of the two rifles.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Fwb

Out of the 80, the 124 and the 35E that I have I prefer the 35E.

Sorry just the way I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Out of the 80, the 124 and the 35E that I have I prefer the 35E.

Sorry just the way I feel.
    I'm beginning to lean towards spending the cash on a tuning kit for my modern HW35K, but may yet go for a Sport in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    How about a Beeman Sport?

beautiful

While fruit isn't my speciality and Mr Welham does know his onions Ive never had scope problems with any 'Sport while I have known a couple of Original/RWS 45 with bent barrels and wasnt there a safety recall in the early days of the '45 due to safety catch problems. Regardless of this the 'Sport is still a little peach and IMO the better of the two rifles.

ATB
    Ian
    did someone mention DIANA
    horrible monkey metal guns with pellet eating breeches
    wouldnt have one in the house

DM80 Guest
    FWB sports looks nice but it was a flimsy gun and had quite a few faults ie poor rubbish trigger and safety mech weak plastic sights poor barrel lockup detents are often worn and the breech bolt comes loose with use' never seen a worn barrel lockup on an original 45 which for me is the better gun just ugly you cant compare a FWB sport to an HW80 or for that matter a HW35 the sports not in the same class.

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    FWB sports looks nice but it was a flimsy gun and had quite a few faults ie poor rubbish trigger and safety mech weak plastic sights poor barrel lockup detents are often worn and the breech bolt comes loose with use' never seen a worn barrel lockup on an original 45 which for me is the better gun just ugly you cant compare a FWB sport to an HW80 or for that matter a HW35 the sports not in the same class.

dave.
    of course its not the same its better built than either of those
    the design might be older but the quality is better
    i have had at least five 80s and maybe double that 35 and 35Es
    but prefer the sport for its handling and power for cocking effort
    nearest thing to the sport for handling is the HW95 but i wouldn't have one of those either because i have an 85k and IMO this is better built

Simples!!!
    Having owned and used both the FWB Sport 124 & 127 I can say without hesitation there is nowt wrong with either of them both mine never gave any of the so called problems at all and were superb.
    Big cats are out there !!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly if it wasn't for the nostalgia I wouldn't shoot any of them
    If springers weren't so frustrating then we wouldn't go back to them again and again. Something plenty satisfying in making them shoot well.

Sports have lovely lines; a Beeman has walnut
    Original 45 look and shoot business like; bit of a Tiger Tank.
    HW35, ugly and fat but saved if it wears some well coloured walnut.

I can forgive a rifle quite a bit if it looks right. Then you don't mind spending a bit more time getting it sorted.

I don't think I've moved my sights on my rim fires for several years. Rock solid and tack drive all day long. PCP's are pretty dull until you stretch the distance and catch the wind.

Fwb

Nikkormat, I've also got a factory 35K and with its 16" Barrel its a joy to shoot, OK not as light or slim as the FWB but compact and almost BSF55 like in its handling.

It also has a better trigger and stronger breech lock up than the FWB and the 95. Remember small tubed HW's should be for boys rifles eg the 30 or as a basis for an excellent target rifle aka the 55.