Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the FWB Sport?

I have one of the new diana 280's and it does posses many of the qualities that have been attributed to the FWB. It did need a strip and relube and had to smooth the cocking lever at the piston end but is now very nice to shoot and doing 11 fp in .177. Not put a scope on yet, just enjoying the open sights. Anyway, all this debate about this German stuff is accademic, the nicest looking springer was the last of the Mercury 'S'

Ok IJ, that Beeman does look as nice as the Mastersport, but still not as nice as a Mercury S

T06 trigger is a good 'un. Have never had a go with a T05 but have owned / used lots of record triggers. I always find that there is quite a difference in pull weight between 1st and 2nd stages and the only way to lighten them is reducing the sear engagment but this causes the trigger to stick at the 2nd stage (pause or breath!) Anyhow, this did not happen with the T06! Only thing I have changed is one of the adjustment screws (similar set up to AirArms CD) because it limited my reduction of the travel in the 1st stage. Dianas idea would of been to keep lots of sear engagment for safety but I hate long 1st stages so it had to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Ok IJ, that Beeman does look as nice as the Mastersport, but still not as nice as a Mercury S
    OK - so the Mercury S and Airsporter S are a couple of the better British rifles (thats not saying much ) you cant compare them with a 'Sport, Beeman or Mastersport on looks (very slab sided) and certainly, due to their poor triggers and shallow scope rails , not on practicality or build quality.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    OK - so the Mercury S and Airsporter S are a couple of the better British rifles (thats not saying much ) you cant compare them with a 'Sport, Beeman or Mastersport on looks (very slab sided) and certainly, due to their poor triggers and shallow scope rails , not on practicality or build quality.

ATB
    Ian
    Those tiger stripes sure look well on the .22 stock.

Ian

Should have read your post through before looking at your Mercurys.

The Airsporter is by far the better looking rifle. Build quality, you can't be referring to the Mk1/2 or Stutzens. Trigger, I don't think anyone would argue with you on that one.

Anyway, What about the BSF s54 Bayern.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post
    Those tiger stripes sure look well on the .22 stock.
    Dont they just in candle light . You caught me on a bad day - Ive had treatment since. At least it went to a good home and not a Diana fan.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post
    Ian

Should have read your post through before looking at your Mercurys.

The Airsporter is by far the better looking rifle. Build quality, you can't be referring to the Mk1/2 or Stutzens. Trigger, I don't think anyone would argue with you on that one.

Anyway, What about the BSF s54 Bayern.
    True - I was forgetting the build quality of the Mk1/2s but that didn't last for long befor the plastic bits arrived (Mk 3 onwards).

As for the BSF 54 ! German copy of the Hungarian Swamp Donkey and built like a brick out house. But, like my Mercury S - we all make mistakes.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    True - I was forgetting the build quality of the Mk1/2s but that didn't last for long befor the plastic bits arrived (Mk 3 onwards).

As for the BSF 54 ! German copy of the Hungarian Swamp Donkey and built like a brick out house. But, like my Mercury S - we all make mistakes.

ATB
    Ian
    Nothing wrong with the BSF S54! So well built that I have one holding up a shelf in the boxroom.
    As the 'rubbery,plastic' triggers on the FWB's were so bad they were replaced with the ally ones, what happened to the plastic triggers that were replaced before they broke??
    If there are any of these 'rubbery, plastic' triggers lying around in your 'bits' boxes that haven't yet snapped, PLEASE send them to me - I want them!!

ATB
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post

Nothing wrong with the BSF S54! So well built that I have one holding up a shelf in the boxroom.
    As the 'rubbery,plastic' triggers on the FWB's were so bad they were replaced with the ally ones, what happened to the plastic triggers that were replaced before they broke??
    If there are any of these 'rubbery, plastic' triggers lying around in your 'bits' boxes that haven't yet snapped, PLEASE send them to me - I want them!!

ATB
    Eric
    Ive got my '54 holding up my gun room.

With regards to 'plastic bits'. I was, of course referring to the later marks (3 onwards) of the BSA Airsporter. While the Mk 1 and 2 had classic sleek lines, the auto tap and build quality on a par with the 'Sport the later versions had increased amounts of plastic and the conical leather piston head was replace with an 'O' ring.

As for FWB triggers - yes I do have a spare, bought of this very forum and I dont require your postal addy.

ATB
    Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian, the request wasn't exactly directed towards you - It would be easier getting a piece of sirloin out of my staffies mouth than getting a FWB trigger from you!
    ATB
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

IJ your pic is not of one of the last Mercury or airsporter s's (as I'm sure you will know) and which don't have any plastic bits and are a lot less slab sided. A std FWB is a bit angular if anything, rear sight plasticy, nice but not perfect (is any gun??)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ian, the request wasn't exactly directed towards you - It would be easier getting a piece of sirloin out of my staffies mouth than getting a FWB trigger from you!
    ATB
    Eric
    True - oh so true.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    IJ your pic is not of one of the last Mercury or airsporter s's (as I'm sure you will know) and which don't have any plastic bits and are a lot less slab sided. A std FWB is a bit angular if anything, rear sight plasticy, nice but not perfect (is any gun??)
    Only the BSF mod 65.
    The piccy shows Mk 1 'S' types and true, the later versions did have slightly more rounded stocks.

ATB
    Ian

p.s Lets not remind the FWB Sports knockers about the Mk 3 Dan Dare front sight unit.

p.s Lets not remind the FWB Sports knockers about the Mk 3 Dan Dare front sight unit.

Doh- you went there- you literally went there. This thread will now go downhill as we staunch supporters of the illustrious Sport have the urine extracted from us as regards to the large lump of fashioned metal afixed to the end of the Mk3 barrel. What were FWB thinking of when they put that muzzle weight on there Never mind- its history now

Methinks this thread has drifted somewhat- but its all input I guess on FWBs?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post

Doh- you went there- you literally went there. This thread will now go downhill as we staunch supporters of the illustrious Sport have the urine extracted from us as regards to the large lump of fashioned metal afixed to the end of the Mk3 barrel. What were FWB thinking of when they put that muzzle weight on there Never mind- its history now

Methinks this thread has drifted somewhat- but its all input I guess on FWBs?

Dave
    the lump of iron on the end was there to prove to detractors that there is NOTHING wrong with the barrel lock up