Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25yd smallbore prone...

I just had a quick check, the book I was reading does show the straighter or more relaxed right leg. Rifle Shooting as a Sport by Bernd Klingner 1980.

It must've been from the articles I had been reading and the way a few other club members shoot which got the 45-90 degree leg position into my head, although thinking about it the only guy who averages high 90's also uses a straighter right leg position.

What i'd got in my mind was that the right leg should lift he body slightly to take weight off the chest, i'm quite a big guy though so by trying to do that i'm putting quite a bit of pressure onto my leg and it is trying to fall back level, this was also causing me to roll into the right arm putting a lot of pressure through the right hand which I know is wrong. I spent some time taking my right hand on and off the grip to ensure the sights weren't moving.

So actually the problem was reading articles from unknown sources and looking at what the lesser shooters were doing!
    Not sent from an iPhone.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Although its moving the thread a bit its quite interesting to see the changes in techniques and positions over the years. To my wife and I as returning shooters after a 20 year break it is quite significant, particularly in standing but also in prone, not all of it is totaly convincing.
    One of the world greats, Raimond Debevec does everything wrong in all three positions according to the textbooks, yet he holds the world 3P record, 1186, thats 14 nines, the rest tens, 120 shots at 50 mts prone, standing, and kneeling! Must have had a lucky day, and again when he won Gold at Sydney, and the many other world championships and World cups. The variations in position and still producing world level results are many, the old adage is never comment on any ones position or technique until you've seen the scoresheet.
    Good shooting,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

only two things govern a position... safety and the discipline's rules... the rest are guidelines... but the guidelines should be discussed as part by a coach to give them context, because they have the tools to hand to give them that context.