Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in guns of the American Civil War?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Anyone interested in guns of the American Civil War?

This topic is interesting me more all the time, as the 150th anniversary of the conflict begins later this year.

Makes me feel old, since I can remember as a boy the 100th anniversary!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

I've just bought a really nice Civil War era Spencer carbine. Could take a few pictures of it if you like ?

I would love to see them.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The gunmakers of Birmingham profitted from the ACW immensely. They were supplying guns to both sides. There is a plaque in the Gun Quarter stating that legend has it the gunmakers would light cigars with £20 notes and would order two taxi's to go out: one for them and one to carry their top-hats and coats. Not very moral, I suppose, when one thinks of the tremendous loss of life. I read a very good novel about the ACW recently: "Enemy Women" by Paulette Jiles.

A snippet from The Revolver 1818 - 1865,

It might be thought that the company's [London Armoury Company, whose chairman Archibald Hamilton was a confederate sympathizer] eventual liquidation [in 1866] stemmed from a Confederate failure, as it disintergrated, to pay for what was ordered. In fact, this does not appear to be the case ... payment was always made in due course.
    Responsibility for this financing, in the teeth of enormous difficulties, undoubtedly lay with the Confederacy's European bankers, Messrs Fraser, Trenholm & Co, who were London based , and of great reputation and integrity. Left with worthless Confederate paper when the South finally capitulated, these bankers grimly honoured every Confederate draft upon them, and to their own ultimate ruin.
    Iain

A beautiful piece, Lee, inexcellent condition!

Now I know what I have to start saving up for!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    A snippet from The Revolver 1818 - 1865,

Iain
    Men of honor, to the bitter end.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The gunmakers of Birmingham profitted from the ACW immensely. They were supplying guns to both sides. There is a plaque in the Gun Quarter stating that legend has it the gunmakers would light cigars with £20 notes and would order two taxi's to go out: one for them and one to carry their top-hats and coats. Not very moral, I suppose, when one thinks of the tremendous loss of life. I read a very good novel about the ACW recently: "Enemy Women" by Paulette Jiles.
    People will always make a profit of other's tragedy.

The saddest thing is when they engineer the tragedy for the very purpose.

Jim

Another snippet - collectors take note!

Due to the values now attaching to all Confederate arms, Kerr revolvers with an alleged Confederate Army association are claimed in may collections. Such claims must always be viewed with reserve, and are sometimes demonstrably suspect. As an example, revolver No. 11319 was alleged to be a Confederate weapon, but no details were given as to its markings. However, revolver No. 11293 was found to be marked "London Armoury Co., James Kerr & Co., successors", and this was a trading style adopted in 1867, after the civil war had ended. It would seem unlikely that any revolver with a higher serial number could have a true Confederate background.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    Another snippet - collectors take note!

Iain
    Yes! Anything associated with the Civil War commands a premium, and anything associated with the Confederate side an enhanced premium: so, caveat emptor!

Jim

I didn't realise weapons of that era were widely available in the U.K,

I would be very interested to hear where you came upon this rifle?

Cheers

Lovely bit of kit that, would look amazing in my cabnet

hi,jim, i have an original remington .44 army revolver ,but it does not carry any army inspection marks,i also have a 31 cal cooper 4" barrel 6 shot double action revolver[looks like a colt baby dragoon with an oversize trigger guard] which according to flaydermans is the right age and i have read somewhere the were sought after by officers as a secondary gun due to their fast rate of fire... both guns are in good working order,aside from those i have a snider action 10bore shotgun by thomas turner who made many of the sharpshooter rifles for the south,thats a cracking spencer loach[nice pics] i have a sharps buts thats a repro...thats my lot for the civil war jim only wish i was clever enough to put up some pics for you ,hope you are keeping well...cheers greasemonkey[packrat]...
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

have you got any pics of the original remington .44? i love this gun, i have the replica from uberti and what sort of cash do they go for?