Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lincolns tale PLEASE read this first!

edbear2 Guest

Exclamation A Lincolns tale PLEASE read this first!

Whilst out zeroing a couple of guns today, I was idly thinking how nice it would be to know more about them, or if only they could talk!......anyway, it eventually turned into a nice sunny afternoon, so I thought "stuff the jobs" and sat down to write a story.....I have never done anything like this since school, when we had to do "made up" stuff, now and again... ...essays and the like...we are talking 1970's 'O" level by the way...that's as far as I got! ...I don't know what came over me, so anyway I scribbled away as fast as it came to me and this is the result. I am cringing at the though of pressing the "paste" icon.....It's not a masterpiece or owt.......here goes

Had to leave out this bit as it was too long when attached as a preface
    Last edited by T 20; 30-07-2022 at 10:01 AM.

A good effort Edbear, I quite enjoyed reading that.

You shouldn't be embarrassed about trying anything creative though. If you liked writing it then write some more.
    Daystate Mk4, Daystate X2 Merlyn, Weihrauch HW77k, Weihrauch HW35E, Benelli Kite

What a cracking story Ed - quite touching at the end.

Kind regards,

John

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Whilst out zeroing a couple of guns today, I was idly thinking how nice it would be to know more about them, or if only they could talk!......anyway, it eventually turned into a nice sunny afternoon, so I thought "stuff the jobs" and sat down to write a story.....I have never done anything like this since school, when we had to do "made up" stuff, now and again... ...essays and the like...we are talking 1970's 'O" level by the way...that's as far as I got! ...I don't know what came over me, so anyway I scribbled away as fast as it came to me and this is the result. I am cringing at the though of pressing the "paste" icon.....It's not a masterpiece or owt.......here goes

Had to leave out this bit as it was too long when attached as a preface
    Just had a look at the pictures of the hills, it brought back some happy memories of my younger days when i used to fly model slope soaring gliders. I was once fit enough to win the Malvern x country comp for Rivington Soaring Association we used to have some keen competitions down there. Do they still fly on the hills? i wonder if Shaun Bannister is still around he was the man to beat PS sorry iv`e wandered off thread !!!!!!
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

edbear2 Guest
    Hi all, I was looking for "A Lincoln's tale" just now...seems to have moved or gone. Can anyone help with a link please if saved or whatever, have tried the advanced search function and Google.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi all, I was looking for "A Lincoln's tale" just now...seems to have moved or gone. Can anyone help with a link please if saved or whatever, have tried the advanced search function and Google.

ATB, Ed
    I've just had a quick look, Ed, but can't find it in the editing --- I'll have another look later for you.

I have some rust bluing to card off at present.

All the best Mick

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I've just had a quick look, Ed, but can't find it in the editing --- I'll have another look later for you.

I have some rust bluing to card off at present.

All the best Mick
    Thanks mate, I recalled it after reading about some of John Darling's flights of imagination recently.

For some reason despite thinking I had thinned out totally, I seem to acquired an old standard (cheap) so was getting the wire wool and oil out myself, although this one is past that I reckon, but always worth having a go, cloudy and mild weather here so a perfect job for out in the garden in a bit

ATB, Ed

Hi Ed,

I can't believe you wrote that 12 years ago. You didn't submit it to one of the Airgun Collector issues, did you?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Ed,

I can't believe you wrote that 12 years ago. You didn't submit it to one of the Airgun Collector issues, did you?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John......I know it has flown by mate!.......nope, it was just for on here at the time I think, but I recall finding it not that long ago with a Google search, now not able to.

Might be wrong of course, another effect of passing time

ATB, Ed

I remember reading and enjoying it, but was it really 12 years ago!

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Wow 12 years ago, seems like 5 to me. l must be older than l thought.

There is a cautionary tale here: the internet is not a permanent thing, however much we depend on it. So if you like something, SAVE IT!

The best defence we have against losing something valuable that's in a digital format is to have it scattered across a thousand hard drives and USB sticks, so if anyone needs it in future, someone will be willing and able to share it.

This was the thinking behind making Airgun Collector magazine free and digital-only. I'll certainly do what I can to make it available in my lifetime, and hopefully beyond, but if in 40 years somebody wants to read the 3 issues, when the authors and editor are long dead and buried, hopefully someone somewhere in the world will have a copy...

Hopefully the vintage airguns gallery will still be going in some way too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There is a cautionary tale here: the internet is not a permanent thing, however much we depend on it. So if you like something, SAVE IT!
    Couldn't agree more Danny. So much info' on the internet since I wrote the first edition of my book has disappeared. Luckily I have always downloaded anything new, so it will going into my second edition, firmly fixed as hard copy.

The worst perpetrators are the current manufacturers and retailers. These days new models come and go at a fast rate, and information about them is erased from the net just as rapidly. Unless you keep on downloading new info', or know owners, it can be almost impossible to get information about recently discontinued models.

Cheers,
    John

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

The best defence we have against losing something valuable that's in a digital format is to have it scattered across a thousand hard drives and USB sticks, so if anyone needs it in future, someone will be willing and able to share it.

This was the thinking behind making Airgun Collector magazine free and digital-only. I'll certainly do what I can to make it available in my lifetime, and hopefully beyond, but if in 40 years somebody wants to read the 3 issues, when the authors and editor are long dead and buried, hopefully someone somewhere in the world will have a copy...

Hopefully the vintage airguns gallery will still be going in some way too.
    Hi Danny.Strange thing is on a search of my posts with "Lincoln" as the main word, I get 30-40 results going back to 2008 with some either side of "The Lincolns Tale".

Even on the original search I did a post done on the same day a few mins before! (this thread we are reading).

And also as stated it was there a few months ago

ATB, Ed

Found it:

There you go:

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...Lincoln-s-tale

Page 13 in your ‘latest started threads’ page

I read this about 4 years ago and it changed the way I view the possible history of my vintage airguns.

Cheers,
    Matt