Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British P-1864 Snider type Breech Loading Infantry Rifle

Nice pictures Mark. Is it up and running yet?

No, haven't done any more. There's a couple of long cracks down the fore-stock at the thinnest part and again they're soaked with oil/yakfat. I think I'll have to try and sweat the oil out and see if they'll glue.

Then I've got to clean the whole fore-end up to match the stock but as I said I got bored with it. Probably a few winter evenings job.

Check this out.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...59a301&start=0

This guy has done a fabulous job on his rifle he ordered from IMA.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I used more WD40 and a PB brush on the bore and just scrubbed for about 20 mins. I don't quite know what to expect from a 110 year old gun, the rifling does look a bit worn, but it's still definately there and there's no real pitting visible inside.

There is pitting down the outside of the barrel in a line where it meets the fore-stock, but it isn't that deep, even at the muzzle where the barrels thinnest there's still about 75% meat.

I don't have a FAC any more but I think I'd shoot it with moderate loads. This is as far as I got before boredom set in.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...r/martini4.jpg
    I've got some pitting in exactly the same place on my BSA Martini Henry. No problem though its been dealt with. It even has stamps on the barrel indicating light pitting. Haven't fired it yet but it looks like it'll make a good shooter.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/mhbsamk2.jpg

Hi chaps

I've bought a few rifles from uk-militaria. Two Gahendra's, a Francotte and a mk 4 Martini Henry.

The first rifle I bought was one of their untouched (and seized) Gahendra rifles. It cost around £120 (after the 70%) and needed a full strip. It was great fun to tinker with and practice my limited gunsmithing skills. It turned out as a nice looking wall hanger and I managed to get it working. This experience helped me buy another, better Gahendra along with a good Francotte (quite rare).

By the way, there are loads of websites dedicated to the restoration of these Nepalese rifles.

The MK4 Martini I bought a couple of weeks ago. It cost £388 including postage. It is in stunning condition and an absolute steal at that price.

In a nutshell, despite their strange sales gimmick, you can get a good rifle from uk-militaria. Also, you get the chance to actually see pictures and ask questions about the actual rifles you're considering buying.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Hi chaps

I've bought a few rifles from uk-militaria. Two Gahendra's, a Francotte and a mk 4 Martini Henry.

The first rifle I bought was one of their untouched (and seized) Gahendra rifles. It cost around £120 (after the 70%) and needed a full strip. It was great fun to tinker with and practice my limited gunsmithing skills. It turned out as a nice looking wall hanger and I managed to get it working. This experience helped me buy another, better Gahendra along with a good Francotte (quite rare).

By the way, there are loads of websites dedicated to the restoration of these Nepalese rifles.

The MK4 Martini I bought a couple of weeks ago. It cost £388 including postage. It is in stunning condition and an absolute steal at that price.

In a nutshell, despite their strange sales gimmick, you can get a good rifle from uk-militaria. Also, you get the chance to actually see pictures and ask questions about the actual rifles you're considering buying.

I hope this helps.
    Just received an Enfield number 4 spike bayonet, from UK Militaria, with sheath, in lovely condition.

£11.50 including postage.
    Last edited by RogerH; 15-09-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Very interesting. I've eyed-up items on the UK Militaria site before but I'm too suspicious of the 70% discount. Perhaps I need to reconsider....

Quote Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
    Very interesting. I've eyed-up items on the UK Militaria site before but I'm too suspicious of the 70% discount. Perhaps I need to reconsider....
    Yes they process the payment in a rather strange way. First I received a refunded payment on my credit card for £45.50 followed a by a charge for £57.00 a few days later. Total cost £11.50 and that included £4 delivery. Lovely bayonet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
    As I said I wasn't keen on the idea but earlier threads on here showed lots of people had bought from them so I went with it. At the end of the day the credit card company is responsible anyway.

I was well pleased with my £120.00 Martini...... but no, I still haven't finished it.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Snider Enfield

Any news on yours yet Roger? fascinated to know condition, and if you got hit for vat?! atb Paul

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Any news on yours yet Roger? fascinated to know condition, and if you got hit for vat?! atb Paul

Hi Paul

I've got it but I'm not allowed to get my hands on it till my birthday next week.
    I've been allowed to have the bayonet. It was covered in a light rust but has cleaned up quite nicely. I only had to pay import VAT on the freight and the cleaning kit. The total to pay was just under £14. Three days to arrive in the UK, sitting in customs for over two weeks

I'll post some pictures of my birthday prezzie next week.
    Last edited by RogerH; 14-10-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spellink

Thanks Roger, also my birthday next week on the 20th, sadly I do not think I am getting one of these! look forward to the pics - happy trails Paul

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Thanks Roger, also my birthday next week on the 20th, sadly I do not think I am getting one of these! look forward to the pics - happy trails Paul

Happy birthday for next week Paul, mines on the 19th.

Cheers Roger, you have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Happy birthday for next week Paul, mines on the 19th.
    Happy Birthday RogerH, have you unwrapped your gun yet?