Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Change of plan.
    PCP has to be sold.
    I've got a HW80 in 22.
    Doing long distance just for fun keeping everything as Std & basic as possible.
    It's been a long time since I last shot a springer but I'm good for at least 40mm groups with RWS SuperDomes @ 20yds.
    All I've done is got a scope zero'd & had a plink session.
    Question, how do you shoot a springer for long distance ???
    My thoughts are prone off a bag.
    Not bothered if it shoots a different POI useing different methods.
    It's a not used but don't want to sell rifle so It'll be good to get some use out of it.
    It's in need of a service to smooth things out & the parts I have allready.
    All the long distance stuff seems to be shot with a PCP so what distance can a basic springer set up shoot out to ???
    I assume 100yds, talking tin can target size.
    If memory serves me correct I struggled big time at 50yds before going PCP's.
    My capability hasn't changed but clearer scopes sway things in my favour perhaps.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I guess there are 2 aspects to it.

1. Consistency of the rifle, the wider the range on the chrono the wider the groups are going to get and at long range it would quickly become unusable

2. Repeatability of the shot. A front and back bag would be a good start, i'm sure i've heard of some people putting weight over the rifle too to minimise movement.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    If my maths are correct , which i doubt

A .22 with a 30yd zero will require approx 26ft of holdover at that range

energy left will be around 1 ft/lb (Would it move a can)

a 5mph crosswind will push you around 6ft off target

A barn door may be a good backstop

Good luck, i'm sure it can be done with practice
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Er, sounds like the answers really should be don't be daft.
    Thanks.
    Expectations of 100yds miight be too high then ?
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Today at the range we had a bit of a long range target session ie 4 coke cans out at 101yds by rangefinder. My Stalker (.22) is zeroed at 35yds using an MTC Viper 10x44 and a hundred yard shot is very slightly off the scope at the bottom so I only ha sn occasional hit. The guy to my right was hitting them every other shot with his HW100 (.22) and the guy to the left was hitting them almost as frequently with his Pro Sport (.22), so it is posible with a springer. The guy on the right took all his shots standing, I kid you not, he only shoots standing up the club. The guy on the left not to be left out also hit the cans standing a couple of times. Springers in .22 can do the business in the right hands, but 200 yds I think would be beyond all expectations.

Rod

PS Airgun + 30 yd zero + 16grn AA Field + 11.5 fpe = 49.5" holdover at 100 yds or 28 ft at 200 yds according to Chairgun
    Last edited by Rodd; 20-09-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Additional info.

if it can be done with a PCP it can be done with a springer just takes a little more skill/practice and only use chairgun as a guide its only a computer program and gives the information that was put into it , like a flight simulator no pilot has ever earned his wings on one they give him a good idea what its like but there is no substitute for the real world
    get out there try different things you have nothing to loose but when you get it right then you have the satisfaction of knowing you can do it
    yes its easier with a .177 PCP but it can and has been done with a .22 springer

best of luck Andy
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    The guy to my right was hitting them every other shot with his HW100 (.22) and the guy to the left was hitting them almost as frequently with his Pro Sport (.22), so it is posible with a springer. The guy on the right took all his shots standing, I kid you not, he only shoots standing up the club. The guy on the left not to be left out also hit the cans standing a couple of times. Springers in .22 can do the business in the right hands, but 200 yds I think would be beyond all expectations.

Rod
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Last edited by Switchblade; 23-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    If my maths are correct , which i doubt

A .22 with a 30yd zero will require approx 26ft of holdover at that range

energy left will be around 1 ft/lb (Would it move a can)

a 5mph crosswind will push you around 6ft off target

A barn door may be a good backstop

Good luck, i'm sure it can be done with practice
    You could catch the pellet after 200 yds

airhunter Guest

Beef for hw80

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Change of plan.
    PCP has to be sold.
    I've got a HW80 in 22.
    Doing long distance just for fun keeping everything as Std & basic as possible.
    It's been a long time since I last shot a springer but I'm good for at least 40mm groups with RWS SuperDomes @ 20yds.
    All I've done is got a scope zero'd & had a plink session.
    Question, how do you shoot a springer for long distance ???
    My thoughts are prone off a bag.
    Not bothered if it shoots a different POI useing different methods.
    It's a not used but don't want to sell rifle so It'll be good to get some use out of it.
    It's in need of a service to smooth things out & the parts I have allready.
    All the long distance stuff seems to be shot with a PCP so what distance can a basic springer set up shoot out to ???
    I assume 100yds, talking tin can target size.
    If memory serves me correct I struggled big time at 50yds before going PCP's.
    My capability hasn't changed but clearer scopes sway things in my favour perhaps.
    I had an HW80 and by putting leather washers (cut out of an old boot) inside the piston in front of the spring put the power up enough for 100yds no problem and reduced the recoil and clatter significantly

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Long range springer

How's this for a long range plinking.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7122886192038#
    Last edited by Barryg; 13-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.

erm, he must have a lot of faith in his mate to stand there!!

I have set my HW98 up to shoot crosshairs on at 100yds by using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount, a week ago I took my HW77 down the range for a balance test and once finished broke out the 98, conditions were excellent,very cold but absolutely still air with a that deathly hush you get in a woods covered with snow!

I set up a 6 spot resetting target on the shelf the side of the tree at 102 yds and firing off the bench went for a three down followed by three back up with no misses, it got a little frustrating when I kept getting five for five then missed the last one, but finally with a lot of concentration I hit six for six (40mm targets) at 102 yds

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post

using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount,

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!
    I've got the two piece adjustable & find I need to dremel the back one.
    The scope I'm useing has mildots in the center but has thick plain lines on the outer half, didn't give it much thought untill I stretched the distance.
    Very hard to judge P'O'Aim even for paper punching & aiming at the top of the board.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Yes, it is!

... Shooting a standard .22 Weirauch HW80 (which I just bought new last month), over a GPS measured 206 yards at an empty Stella tin.

The target was sat on a wooden ledge on the broad side of a ruined old barn and I also decided the challenge should be shot standing and freehand just for the hell of it!

Chairgun helped the prep a bit, as did some improvised aiming and zeroing solutions together with a willing accomplice on a mobile phone who traipsed back and forth between each shot to mark out POI while I looked on through a spotting scope. It took well over and hour, over a hundred JSB Exact Express pellets, lots of frustration and the odd pause for thought/inspiration; but I cracked it in the end.

It has to be said however that the myriad of variables involved in this type of shooting caused a dire lack of consistency shot on shot. The size of the grouping during this exercise was over 3 feet (and that's excluding flyers and the slight shifts in wind throughout the session). In fact, if I'm honest it involved a modicum of luck to hit the can in the time I did, and to put this in perspective, a few weeks ago I had some tins out at 120 yards and was hitting them around once every 4 or 5 shots and out at a 80 yards was hitting them at least every other shot.

Satisfying as a satisfying thing when the 206 tin dropped though!