Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

yes you need loads of holdover,the aim points on my scope run out at 130 yards thats an sr6 reticule on 3 times mag,if you set the zero to a longer range then i would probably get a longer range with the aim points,i set my zero at 25 yards because thats how long my garden is and i always check zero before i go out hunting,
    when we were (unsuccessfully) attempting the 200 yard cubleycat special we used the "see where the puffs of dirt are"method and have to say are many shots started to get it around the cah regularly until boredom set in ,trouble we had was that we were shooting uphill by quite a bit and i know that the pellet will fly higher going up sure if we were shooting the other way and going downhill we would need less holdover,however if we shot downhill the field is lush green turf and would,nt have a clue where the pellets were hitting,
    it is truly good fun trying to hit tin cans at silly ranges ,the important thing to realise tho is that a tin can is one thing and living things are another kettle of fish and be disciplined enough to keep your range sensible, Ian
    hw100t/mtc viper 4-16x50,,hw100k/nv scope,,hw97k/3-12x44sr6,,hw99s all .177
    hw99s,,bsa supersport,,relum tornado lg15,,all .22
    webley alecto,,hw45,,milbro cougar all .177

Changed the scope for a Leapers mildot one fitted with some Sportsmatch elevation adjustable mounts.
    Shooting at 115yds (length of the range) the scope took ages to adjust, responded really slowly.
    Eventually I run out of adjustment.
    Bad news is the mildot scope isn't fully mildot, only the middle part with the outer cross hairs being thick posts.
    All I could see was the pellets strikes are about half way up the bottom post.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Looks like 100yds could be a bit of fun & looking forward to it but without a better aim point system I'm scuppered for the moment.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I would give it a try by zeroing the combo at say 30yards with jsb exacts,then get a length of wallpaper say 3 feet long shott a pellet to a point near the top of the sheet.Now center the elevation turret and either shim or adjust the mounts so that the back of the scope is up and the crosshairs fall on a dot exactly 48" below the pellet hole.This will put you on the bull at 100yards but still allow enough adjustments for errors such as incline and windshifting causing the pellet to climb or dip on way to the target.The total drop on your pellet at 100yards is a mere 68 inches or there abouts and a wind from the side of 5mph will deflect the pellet by 14/15 inches.I don't know where some folk get their figures from but if work with Chairgun as a rough guide then you will be close enough to make a start for real,and save a bit of frustration while setting up.Good luck with your endeavours. We shoot at the missed clays on the shotgun range next to the airguh range at the Steve Smiths grounds near Dinnington.And can manage some very good shots at up to 95 yards which is the distance to the bank top from the shooting stalls.It is dangerous to go any further as there are fields behind,but these practices are enjoyed by quite a few of the guys.
    Graham.
    Last edited by walrus1#; 02-12-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

we've just had a xmas comp at the club.anyway when it was over a few of us stayed behind and started 100yd target shooting.obviously our scopes fully adjusted we could not see exactly where the pellets were hitting as they were outside our field of view.although we could clearly hear them hitting the wooden back stop.we shimmed up the back of the scopes using aluminium foil taking care not to overtighten mounts as this can easily compress scope and damage it,as the scope will be cockeyed in relation to the mounts.it wasn't long before we were all hitting the targets with groupings of about 6 inches.the pcps were consistantly more accurate but some of the springers did very well.we took some balloons down to use as targets and we popped a few of them but we all fell about laughing when one of the lads hit a balloon and you could see the pellet bounce off(through spotting scope) and balloon intact.one thing was concluded any air rifle shooting up to 12ftlb should not be used for hunting at this range.

airhunter Guest

Beef for hw80

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Change of plan.
    PCP has to be sold.
    I've got a HW80 in 22.
    Doing long distance just for fun keeping everything as Std & basic as possible.
    It's been a long time since I last shot a springer but I'm good for at least 40mm groups with RWS SuperDomes @ 20yds.
    All I've done is got a scope zero'd & had a plink session.
    Question, how do you shoot a springer for long distance ???
    My thoughts are prone off a bag.
    Not bothered if it shoots a different POI useing different methods.
    It's a not used but don't want to sell rifle so It'll be good to get some use out of it.
    It's in need of a service to smooth things out & the parts I have allready.
    All the long distance stuff seems to be shot with a PCP so what distance can a basic springer set up shoot out to ???
    I assume 100yds, talking tin can target size.
    If memory serves me correct I struggled big time at 50yds before going PCP's.
    My capability hasn't changed but clearer scopes sway things in my favour perhaps.
    I had an HW80 and by putting leather washers (cut out of an old boot) inside the piston in front of the spring put the power up enough for 100yds no problem and reduced the recoil and clatter significantly

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Long range springer

How's this for a long range plinking.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7122886192038#
    Last edited by Barryg; 13-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.

erm, he must have a lot of faith in his mate to stand there!!

I have set my HW98 up to shoot crosshairs on at 100yds by using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount, a week ago I took my HW77 down the range for a balance test and once finished broke out the 98, conditions were excellent,very cold but absolutely still air with a that deathly hush you get in a woods covered with snow!

I set up a 6 spot resetting target on the shelf the side of the tree at 102 yds and firing off the bench went for a three down followed by three back up with no misses, it got a little frustrating when I kept getting five for five then missed the last one, but finally with a lot of concentration I hit six for six (40mm targets) at 102 yds

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    If my maths are correct , which i doubt

A .22 with a 30yd zero will require approx 26ft of holdover at that range

energy left will be around 1 ft/lb (Would it move a can)

a 5mph crosswind will push you around 6ft off target

A barn door may be a good backstop

Good luck, i'm sure it can be done with practice
    You could catch the pellet after 200 yds

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post

using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount,

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!
    I've got the two piece adjustable & find I need to dremel the back one.
    The scope I'm useing has mildots in the center but has thick plain lines on the outer half, didn't give it much thought untill I stretched the distance.
    Very hard to judge P'O'Aim even for paper punching & aiming at the top of the board.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Yes, it is!

... Shooting a standard .22 Weirauch HW80 (which I just bought new last month), over a GPS measured 206 yards at an empty Stella tin.

The target was sat on a wooden ledge on the broad side of a ruined old barn and I also decided the challenge should be shot standing and freehand just for the hell of it!

Chairgun helped the prep a bit, as did some improvised aiming and zeroing solutions together with a willing accomplice on a mobile phone who traipsed back and forth between each shot to mark out POI while I looked on through a spotting scope. It took well over and hour, over a hundred JSB Exact Express pellets, lots of frustration and the odd pause for thought/inspiration; but I cracked it in the end.

It has to be said however that the myriad of variables involved in this type of shooting caused a dire lack of consistency shot on shot. The size of the grouping during this exercise was over 3 feet (and that's excluding flyers and the slight shifts in wind throughout the session). In fact, if I'm honest it involved a modicum of luck to hit the can in the time I did, and to put this in perspective, a few weeks ago I had some tins out at 120 yards and was hitting them around once every 4 or 5 shots and out at a 80 yards was hitting them at least every other shot.

Satisfying as a satisfying thing when the 206 tin dropped though!

thats the lousiest excuse I have ever heard for drinking Stella!

thats the lousiest excuse I have ever heard for drinking Stella!
    Looking for a no frills, freehand, minimum prep solution to the challenge with a totally bog-standard set-up; I decided to use the zoom on the scope to fix my zero at the intersection of the vertical cross-hair post with the scope's bottom margin... unfortunately this resulted in a mag of only x4 or so to shoot with.

Now I usually prefer a malt whisky but at 206 yards and x4 that bright white tin stood out a treat against the red paint on the old barn...
    Last edited by Mactavish; 24-12-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added a wee bit for clarity!

funny you should mention that, i'm sitting here reading this with a glass of 18 year old Glenlivet to sip!

a merry christmas to you!

funny you should mention that, i'm sitting here reading this with a glass of 18 year old Glenlivet to sip!

a merry christmas to you!
    Ah, you're a man of impeccable taste Mr. Bodger...

... A Merry Christmas to you too.
    Last edited by Mactavish; 24-12-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Bit of trial and error to make the link work properly... :)

I too recently have been keen to try long range shooting with my new rifle, HW77 .177. I can consistently drop cans at 65 yds but my goal is (weather and time permitting) to do 100+ yds. I'll start a new thread the day I do it with photos and details.

Your all right, it's so very addictive.

Al