Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper Connect

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Because you can't open a lens cap when you have a scope enhancer on..

Drop us a line and we'll replace the objective cover, no biggie and we've had no other problems with them
    No problem with not having the lens cap on for me, after I found it on the floor I clipped it on and off a couple of times to see how it fitted then put it in my misc. box.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    I have used the Connect in a couple of HFT competitions and haven't had a problem with the objective lens cap. Personally I don't get on with the rubber 'concertina' enhancer, but have used a Bushwacker flip-up eyepiece cover to keep the rain off.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Now I could not get on with the Viper at all ( my dodgy eyes ) but I have tried the connect a couple of times and really like it , very clear , compact with a great ret too . When finances allow I will certainly be getting one .

Charles how are you finding the scope with / without glasses mate

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

No worse with glasses than any other scope I've used, but nowadays I only shoot wearing a contact lens, much better than glasses.
    Though reading glasses do have their uses.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    No worse with glasses than any other scope I've used, but nowadays I only shoot wearing a contact lens, much better than glasses.
    Though reading glasses do have their uses.
    LMAO - excellent as usual Sir
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    I don't use the enhancer so have no problem with wearing glass's and using this scope.

I have used the Connect in a couple of HFT competitions and haven't had a problem with the objective lens cap. Personally I don't get on with the rubber 'concertina' enhancer, but have used a Bushwacker flip-up eyepiece cover to keep the rain off.
    Do you find that you lose the ret in the darker wooded areas when a dark target is used? Its a b*tch to range find with it. Now if the ret was a fully illuminated one it would be a good hft scope as well as a good hunting scope

Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    Do you find that you lose the ret in the darker wooded areas when a dark target is used? Its a b*tch to range find with it. Now if the ret was a fully illuminated one it would be a good hft scope as well as a good hunting scope
    IMHO the illuminated centre cross is all you need.
    Truttemer Tir Club

IMHO the illuminated centre cross is all you need.
    What Mog said.

I now find fully illuminated rets distracting, especially as in HFT you can't adjust them. And the illuminated centre cross is excellent for hunting. IMHO, of course.

Martin

Woodn't bother me as I never use an illuminated ret anyway , I remember looking through a full IR scope once and I'm sure I heard the close encounters theme tune !

Dave

@ mog

So do you just use the centre cross to range find? I am used to using mildots to rangefind targets
    (Apologies to OP i dont mean to hijack your thread Maybe i should start another )

Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    @ mog

So do you just use the centre cross to range find? I am used to using mildots to rangefind targets
    (Apologies to OP i dont mean to hijack your thread Maybe i should start another )
    Centre cross is one mildot, so if it fills a 40mm Kz the target's at 45yds. work back from there. Trouble is, course setters are getting craftier, using non-standard size Kz's, and concealing the hinge area of targets so you can't bracket that way.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I thought about this with the prototype, and I dont think it matters that much....not to me in any event.

The cross covers most points of aim with even a slightly loopy .177 out to just over 40yds, so if you are hunting this is probably enough and much more useable.

Use a flat flying round and you should have even less agro.

As for the range finding, It is a mill dot scope, so there should be no difference between this and the SCB ono as regards range finding (bracketing) but again, the ret getting lost may be a problem.

The AMD can get a bit lost against dark backgrounds though, I agree, but I am prepared to put up with it for the increased precision it gives.

I have been squirrelling with mine and I did find that I had to use IR eventually, but it was very late afternoon/pushing dusk, with a very contrasty sky (light diffuse grey that always hurts my eyes anyway), so this would have challenged any scope to be honest.

I think if they tried to illuminate the whole lot, it may lose something in precision, although looking at the red cross I doubt it.

I wonder if, when it is available with SCB, it will be fully illuminated?

I just cannot believe how well it fits and balances with even a heavy rifle like my BTAS100, just superb.

I have a production unit now, but sadly it has arrived just as I threw my NV onto it's new home...so it will have to be ogled, polished etc until I get the chance to change back...still got one on my 100 though..Heh Heh

Mind you, if the intention is to produce a NV add on to this puppie (which on the front end would be superb as you could change modes without changeing eye relief) then perhaps a more illuminated ret would pay....who knows

I know I keep going on, but the funniest thing yet was when a dyed in the wool FTer took one look at the connect and said "you wont be able to see the target at 55 with that,let alone hit it".

Ironically I had been practicing at 55 the day before, so I knelt down and did just that...."Oh...he says".

We get on very well now
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I'm getting on very well with mine. I only hunt though, so no idea about HFT. In the hunting field the field of view is amazingly useful and allows you to use more magnification than a conventional scope, but not feel hemmed in. I don't find the AMD ret gets lost really, even in very dull woodland but I have very good eyes, so others may have issues with that. I am waiting exitedly to see how they SCB ret looks in these though.

I really think that the hassle of mounting these right, and getting used to the lack of eye releif is easily off set by the gains you get from the Field of view and brightness of the image. They really are a step forward over conventional scopes in my oppinion.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by kwiky View Post
    I'm getting on very well with mine. I only hunt though, so no idea about HFT. In the hunting field the field of view is amazingly useful and allows you to use more magnification than a conventional scope, but not feel hemmed in. I don't find the AMD ret gets lost really, even in very dull woodland but I have very good eyes, so others may have issues with that. I am waiting exitedly to see how they SCB ret looks in these though.

I really think that the hassle of mounting these right, and getting used to the lack of eye releif is easily off set by the gains you get from the Field of view and brightness of the image. They really are a step forward over conventional scopes in my oppinion.
    Ello Phil, agreed.

I dont think that they are much different to a conventional scope now though, particulary if you dont use the bellows.

The ret loss seems to only really occur where there are a lot of vertical lines, it is more confusion/camouflage than loss as it were.

Again though I hunt and practice at an FT club and dont find it, or the single cross an issue.

The AMD ret is superb for longish range stuff. Before getting my mits on the prototype I had never managed a single (albeit ragged) hole at 50, it does not obscure the target anywhere near as much as other rets.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know