Thread: Totally new to guns please help me choose

Red face Totally new to guns please help me choose

Hello all
    I have had a little look around the site and read a few posts to see how things work so here goes
    Hi I am Lesley and I am married to John and we have a son William who will be 14 soon
    John and William joined the Woodford shooting range today
    I am the one who knows how to use the comp so its down to me to find out the ins and outs of their new hobby
    I would be really grateful for any advice on where to start (gun wise) what to buy first and how much to spend as I am a total newbie to guns
    We have played around with BB guns in the garden and abroad while on holiday
    As it is his birthday soon it is a good present to get him (William)
    I see there is someone selling an aaS200 air rifle for £40 which seems the right budget to start off with
    It looks like a nice gun but then I would go on looks being a girl
    Would this be the type of gun to start with??
    Can you buy an air rifle without a licence?
    I know that makes me look totally green but as I said I am a newbie
    Looking forward to being bombarded with advice
    Many thanks

Hi, I'll try add help with what I can.

First of you can buy an air rifle with out a licence, however there are a few things to bear in mind. Someone under the age of 16 or 18 can not own an airgun. However they can shoot an airgun in the presence of someone over 18. You can find more info on the laws at www.bsac.co.uk or . Com carnt remember at the min. You'll find lots of usfull info on there.

As for a gun for William to us, I'm not to sure about the one you suggested as I've not used it. I can however tell you that I started at about the age of 10 with a BSA metor which is still available. The advantage of this type of gun is the fact that it's a spring powered one so keeps the initial cost down as you don't need to get a dive bottle/pump etc. They are the same power of the precharged guns.

Hope this covers most of your q's

Chris

Come on guys help me out

I am surprised not to have heard from anyone yet
    Please help !!

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    Hello Lesley and welcome.

You may get a few more responses to your questions if you post in the general airgun bit!

Air-Arms S200 - nice gun, but £40 I assume you mean £400 - but bear in mind you'll also need a scope and some way of filling the gun with air, either a dive bottle or a stirrup pump.

I'm not sure on the legality of a 14 year old owning an air-rifle (with regards to the vcr act), but hopefully someone else can enlighten you.

BB guns are a good way to be introduced to shooting, but must be treated the same safety wise as any firearm.

Hope that helps a bit!

Timmaaah

air arms

I was going to say...

aa s200 for 40 quid... bit of a bargain!