Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airfix SLR and Airfix Thompson

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    I was fortunate enough to own both of these models back in the mid 60's, complete with their silver plastic bullets. (Great for shooting Japanese vampires when playing Japs and commandos!)

Happy days, jumpers for goalposts, ect ect.
    I hate you now! I had the Thompson and lusted after the slr that a friend had. Oh that takes me back far too many years! Shame they were made of the then new and fashionable plastic rather than pot metal as most cap guns were, as maybe some would have survived.
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeherald View Post
    I hate you now! I had the Thompson and lusted after the slr that a friend had. Oh that takes me back far too many years! Shame they were made of the then new and fashionable plastic rather than pot metal as most cap guns were, as maybe some would have survived.
    Agreed, it's a shame Airfix didn't produce either a Bren gun or GPMG!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

In addition to the SLR and The Thompson - I remember getting the Secret Sam for Christmas and my mate across the road had a Johnny 7.

I also had a sekiden pea gun/ Lone Star Gambler / Broomhandle Mauser

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6Bd0MwEh8&NR=1

Check out the advert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_4xMjZu5g

I also remember an over under shotgun which fired a plastic dart at a plastic 'clay target' launched by a 'trap' called Flying shot' - can't find any reference on the web to this though
    Last edited by BSFNUT; 27-09-2010 at 07:34 PM.

This Section

gets weirder by the minute.

You'll be talking about the 'joys of wearing serge Shorts' next .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lVfxS3Tao

PS. "Don't forget the Fruitgums, Mum"

I had the Airfix SLR with the black furniture and my mate Martin Johnson (later England Rugby captain) had the SLR with the mock-wood furniture. I was secretly envious of the mock-wood furniture. If you read Martin Johnson's autobiography, he talks about his Airfix SLR and how much he loved it. No kidding! His family were army barmy: they had an old bazooka, a canoe in the yard and their mom (a PE teacher) built an assault course in the back garden. Amazing characters. I wonder if anyone has the moulds for the SLR and Thompson. Judging by some of the threads on BBS, there is a tasty packet to be made out of making these guns again. The barrel on the SLR always seemed to break off though. Turning it into some kind of jungle-variant.

Hi
    I had the plastic pyro kits i had the kentucy rifle the cap and ball revolver and the pepper pot pistol.
    JJJJJJ

I had the SLR for Christmas 196?. The one my parents bought from Woolworths was faulty and Woolies sent out a guy on a motorbike with a replacement!

Yes, the barrel broke on mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I

Yes, the barrel broke on mine as well.
    Mine too! The guy next door had a Thompson, battery operated cap firer.

Question Japs and Commandos

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    I was fortunate enough to own both of these models back in the mid 60's, complete with their silver plastic bullets. (Great for shooting Japanese vampires when playing Japs and commandos!)

Happy days, jumpers for goalposts, ect ect.
    I remember playing Japs and Commandos.........brilliant.
    I wonder.......was it just a Northern thing?
    Freedom needs a soldier.

We tended to play Jerries and Commando's down here. If you were the Japanese you had to pretend to have a tinpot Arisaka rifle, glasses and buck teeth (going by the illustrations in Warlord comic) whereas if you had to be the Germans at least you got to pretend to have a cool gun like a Schmeisser or an FG42. "Warlord" and "Battle" were our guidbooks on these subjects. I am still keen to know who has the moulds for the Airfix SLR and Thompson.

edbear2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cambrai1917 View Post
    I remember playing Japs and Commandos.........brilliant.
    I wonder.......was it just a Northern thing?
    With hindsight i suppose i was a bit of a cruel bugger as a youngster, i had a classmate who wore spec's that resembled pint pot bottoms, the unfortunate lad had rather large teeth as well.......I never allowed him to join us Commando's!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I remember having 2 of the SLRs and both barrels broke off

My other fave toy from back then was this Johnny Eagle Magumba pistol

http://wesclark.com/am/magumba_pistol.jpg

You put a cap in the back of each "shell" loaded them into the magazine and when you fired it the "bullet" would shoot out and and the empty shell would be ejected when you racked it back.

Oh Happy Days
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    I remember having 2 of the SLRs and both barrels broke off

My other fave toy from back then was this Johnny Eagle Magumba pistol

http://wesclark.com/am/magumba_pistol.jpg

You put a cap in the back of each "shell" loaded them into the magazine and when you fired it the "bullet" would shoot out and and the empty shell would be ejected when you racked it back.

Oh Happy Days
    That's jogged my memory Paul! I think thats the pistol i had in the late 60's, such fun!

I remember back in the early 80's being asked by a fried to make up a model gun plastic kit - the type made by " L+S " from Japan .....[.these were around for many years pre the new airsoft explosion and even a recently as 15 years ago my local model shop still had these ] . I made him up the 357 kit and this had spring 'bullets' - each shell had a small weak spring and you pushed on a plastic bullet . The one I made up didn't want to fire off each spring , but a nice replica kit . Oddly was at a Militaria Fair recently and bought an ammo belt . When I got it home I found one pouch on the belt had something crammed inside - on opening a whole pile of these plastic bullets fell out ...
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "