Thread: AA 410 vs AA 510

AA 410 vs AA 510

Final Q from newbie shooter - will be target shooting with son (13) - as well as Weihrauch HW100 or Air Arms 510 I am now also considering an AA 410 ... advice please ? Skip the Weihrach debate on this one - that's a separate thread - which of the two AA's should I go for ?

I prefer having a bolt. But it really is a personal choice. The bolt needs a bit of a tug at the end of the stroke to fully cock the gun whilst the extra leverage of the sidelever makes this easier. This might be a consideration re your son.

Plenty more 410's around if you are considering going second hand, which should mean more choice and better prices.

AA 410 vs AA 510

Out of the box I would say the sidelever definately has the edge over the bolt for smoothness - and you won't end up putting two pellets down the spout if you don't engage the trigger sear.

I've had my S410 bolt worked with a stone and it is now silky smooth, even better than the S510 sidelever so it's horses for courses I'm afraid and down to your pocket.

There's nothing wrong with the S410 though, it will last a lifetime. Your son will have to be more deliberate with the bolt that's all. I'm sure he will get used to it.

I've just ordered an S510 partly because it has an integral silencer and a 20% lighter stock.

Have fun.

Regards - John

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    To my mind that bolt comes back too close to the eye if you're trying to stay on aim between shots, a friend of mine was on the MGF speed shoot and his hand slipped off the bolt stuck his thumb in his eye we didn't laugh much, honest.
    Mick
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane