Thread: Have I damaged my pistol?

Have I damaged my pistol?

As for my earlier post
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486217

Because I didn't have a powder measure, I loaded my pistol with just over half a dose of a 25 grain vial which should have been approx 15grn max charge.
    Gun went off like a canon
    Next 6 shots reduced load, same thing
    Final 6 reduced again, same as

Today I took delivery of a set of electronic scales & found that I had shot 34 grns & that the vial holds 50grns
    (Shooting 2.15 gms instead of 1.0gms max)

Is it likely that I have damaged my pistol with this load (FFG)? I certainly damaged my underwear when I found out

I shall return to the shop & complain next week.
    The vials are Pietta & NOT cheap
    Dave
    Last edited by deebee; 30-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.

PM inbound

Roy

i realy wouldent have thort so, as the pistols are tested to a much higher load for quality contr4ol than you used, and we usualy double load on the odd occasion, does nothing for acuracey but does add to the fun factor, as long as when you packed the ball in it was tight against the powder youll be fine i would say, might need to give it a nice clean if not useing tripple 7 but i wouldent worry to much

Thanks both
    db

I have managed on a couple of occasions to double load my Pedersoli Mortimer - 33gn instead of 16.5gn. Big loud bang and Godzila's breath coming out of the muzzel, but no damage.

I read somewhere the olde method of determining MAX load was to increase powder charge on a snowy frosty day until unburnt powder was ejected from the muzzle and could be seen on the ground in front of the gun. That was the absolute maximum and from there powder was decreased a 'pinch'
    If the old timers were doing this with unknown steel quality in days of old I think our modern repros should stand the trial.
    Despite the BANG and clouds of smoke it is still realtively slow and low pressure compared to the smokeless jobbies

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Inefficient powder

Because of the relative inefficiency of black powder I wouldn't think that you could get enough powder into a pistol to do any damage. Quite a bit will be blown out as unburned powder.

Having said that, I wouldn't use that much in my pistols.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

You can fill the cylinder of a revolver with gunpowder and leave enough room for the ball without any danger.
    This applies to blackpowder ONLY not the generic powders like Pyrodex.
    And, it only applies to revolvers NOT single shot pistols.