Thread: AGS 4x32 Mini Mil-Dot scope

AGS 4x32 Mini Mil-Dot scope

Bought one of these from e*bay from JS Ramsbottom at a cost of £19 to my door to try it out on my rebuilt Mk5 BSA Meteor .177 - needed a mini scope as a normal length scope needs to be mounted too far back to avoid the break barrel. I tried an old Nikko 'Mountie' 4x20, but it was less than ideal even if it did match the age of the gun. You generally get what you pay for with a £20 scope, but I'm actually impressed with the little AGS.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now to shoot rats/pigeons at 15 - 25 yards around a yard which is about the limit of the gun and after about 250 pellets it's still bang on zero. Sight picture is as clear as anything, a 4x32 scope gives 8mm exit pupil which is bright enough for general use, the size of the view is a little small when you're used to a 40mm objective but it's easy enough to live with, and the mil dot reticle is useful although the hairs aren't as fine as I'd generally like. That said, at 20 yards it's fine enough, and the dots do help for hold over/under. I mounted it using medium height Nikko Stirling Platinum Mounts which were also as cheap as chips on the 'bay, and which allowed me to mount the scope firmly & centrally onto the grooves on the top of the BSA's cylinder.

It's proving to be a good close-up scope, and with the set objective being 35 yards the image being usably clear (but not crystal) from about 8 yards. Setting the zero is by 2 full size, finger adjustable turrets that actually do what they're supposed to do .. unusual occurence for a cheapo scope. Occular lens can be adjusted for +/-, but mine was fine out of the box. The AGS branding actually sits on a JSR/Leapers scope but function is more important than badge and the scope functions exactly as it should. 25mm tube is aluminium & the scope is robustly built, It should last for years - more than I can say for the Simmons Pro-Hunter I had on a 12fpe spring gun and which literally fell apart after 2 weeks.

I'd recommend the AGS 4x32 Mini as a total bargain. It's almost worth buying one & getting on old springer to chuck it on to remind yourself of how the first airgun you ever had could have been improved, and why skill will always triumph over technology. Who knows, I might even have a bash at some field targets if my skills improve
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

How are you finding the scope now a little further down the road?

AGS scope

These are cracking little scopes for the money.

I bought one to put NV on and the slightly thicker ret really helps

At £19 you're not worried about damage.

I got one recently and was very impressed with what came out of the box for twenty quid. However I got it to put on a webley tracker recently given to me by a friend. Granted the tracker is a bit snappy, but the scope broke on the second shot, the glass actually shattered. If I manage to get it replaced I will only put one on a non recoiling rifle in future.

Additional: JSR have agreed to replace the scope, can't say fairer than that! It will go on a XS78 next.
    Last edited by oneseven; 07-03-2011 at 04:16 PM.