Thread: Unknown Percussion Musket.....any ideas please?

edbear2 Guest

Post Unknown Percussion Musket.....any ideas please?

Dear all, I saw this at a local junk / antique shop this weekend, It looks in some ways like a Springfield, but these are not really my area of expertise

Anyway.....I am sure it had V.R. stamped on one side, and what looked like a fleur de lys shaped proof mark ....The photos are large files, and will zoom on the "+" icon when opened, then click "all sizes" to see full screen......Condition was V.good woodwork wise, with a tight, snappy but good trigger action......any ideas of I.D. and possibly a value would be gratefully recieved!

Hi
    It looks like a 'bitzer' to me. The lock plate looks to be a replacement on a French or Belgian pattern rifle.
    Value? As a wall hanger about £100 to £150 in my opinion.

I suspect it has been made up out of different parts.
    The woodwork looks like it might be off a Zouave but I do not recall seeing a barrel band like the one near the muzzle.
    The rear sight seems odd and so does the trigger.

If you only want it as a wall hanger I would not give more than £30-£40 for it without proof marks or a makers name.

As above... close to scrap

looks lovely to be viewed, ive no idea of price but id have paid about 200 to 250 as a nice viewing piece, but ive also had a lovely 1700 shotty from the car boot in 2 pieces as he thort it was nackerd for £2 and it clicked together very nicly lol

percussion musket

it looks austrian from the muzzle piece , the lock looks british, the enfields had locks & hammers similar to this pattern late 1850s. if youre really serious about the marks go to the wallace collection library in baker street area ,london, theres a copy of der stockel & der neue stockel books where all antique gunsmiths metalwork stamps are indexed alphabetically . best to phone them first & make an appointment. their library is amazing. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Dear all, I saw this at a local junk / antique shop this weekend, It looks in some ways like a Springfield, but these are not really my area of expertise

Anyway.....I am sure it had V.R. stamped on one side, and what looked like a fleur de lys shaped proof mark ....The photos are large files, and will zoom on the "+" icon when opened, then click "all sizes" to see full screen......Condition was V.good woodwork wise, with a tight, snappy but good trigger action......any ideas of I.D. and possibly a value would be gratefully recieved!

I'm afraid I was immediately distracted by Racing Girls!

Talking rafael

All clear
    This is Osterreich infantry carabine M 1842 converted after 1850 for Minie system thats mind barrel got new thread and sign plus lock system Augustine transformed again for Lorenz percussion cap.
    From Polish forum http://bron.iweb.pl/viewtopic.php?p=940791#940791
    regard