Thread: hi, which springer?

hi, which springer?

hi guys, new to the forum but have been shooting for a while mainly pcp's
    had an old springer about ten years ago and it was crap but have seen some really nice ones about lately so which would you guys reccomend as a second gun for hunting?

hi and welcome

regarding a good springer there is plently to choose from, i use a Air Arms TX200 HC .177

Hello!

Welcome to the bbs.
    As with everything it depends on how much you want to spend and whether you like a light rig making carrying it around that much easier.
    Personally I prefer a break barrel rifle for hunting and an underlever for target shooting. Break barrels are lighter and this is important when out in the field for extended periods.
    My advice would be to choose between the Weihrauch HW80K-heavier and bomb-proof, the Weihrauch HW95K or 98 -lighter but still pretty sturdy (the 98 has a heavier shrouded barrel and a different stock but shares the same action and trigger with the 95) and the Webley Longbow but only the ones made in Birmingham.
    For all of these rifles most bbs members would recommend .177 for legal limit hunting and I advise you to read the calibre comparison sticky before asking any questions on calibre.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382843
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I have an HW 80k.

been using it for the past four years, and its been superb.

However it is a really weighty beast, especially when you start adding lamping kits etc.

My shooting mate, who is a bit smaller and lighter than me finds it quite tiring to carry on long outings.

I would get a sling fitted.

Thanks

Cant advise as a newcomer to this sport, but am using a bsa lightning xl in 22 and was cheap and cheerful and does the job well. i tried lots of different springers before i bought this one, it was a toss up between a lightning and weirach but not experienced so who knows, i think it depends on what suits you.

I had a new Weihrauch HW95K in .22 but never really liked the firing cycle. I bought my friend's immaculate AA Pro Sport in .177 and use JSB 4.52 field domes and am hitting spinners at 50 yards no problem, it sometimes puts the pcp to shame, lovely tight recoil half inch groups at 35 yards no problem. Now I'm sending it to Steve Pope for a V Mach full job as I will never sell this baby. Highly recommended.