Thread: Electric Lead Melting Pot

Arrow Electric Lead Melting Pot

Hi,
    Im after buying an electric lead melting pot either new or second hand.
    Would apreciate any advice on which ones are best if you have any experience of them.
    Thanks.

Hi.

I'm using Lee Electric Pot .

You can't go wrong easy to use.

Link to the shop.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=222909

I've got the production pot as well and have been using it for maybe eight years or so. I wouldn't say it was trouble free though as the spout seems to clog easily and the mould doesn't fill so well. I've just drilled the spout out slightly larger as recommended on 'Cast Boolits' (irritating name) and this seems to be helping.

Steve.

I used a gas ring and a ladle for years - and then discovered the Lee Production pot. Talk about easier... Henry Krank were doing them for £60 with a two cavity mould , this promo may have finished, but well worth a call to check as the pot on it's own is about £56.

I have the same spout blocking, then dripping, problem mentioned above. This makes it tricky to keep a consistant temperature in the mould as the flow rate affects the temperature of the incoming molten lead.

I thought this was my fault as I have used the smelter to clean sandy heads and thought maybe there was some crap still in the pot. Since making that mistake I now make little ingots using the gas ring and ladle to clean the lead so that only clean ingots go into the smelter.

I'll try opening drilling the hole as suggested here and see if that fixes things.

McT

I have the same problem with the spout on the Lee pot blocking or dribbling.

I use a piece of bent wire, ("L" shaped), with a wooden grip that I poke up the nozzle to clear it if it plays up.

It usually does the job.

Lead melting

Thanks for the replies guys
    I thought the Lee would be the way to go, I've always found Lee stuff very good for the price...Like you say got to be easier than doing it in the kitchen on the stove like I have been doing for quite a while
    Chris.

Took a 30lb lead electric melting pot to the tip last week, it bought it in the pistol days in the UK but had no use for it in recent years, even her in Jersey.

It was uk made by a guy in North Devon who used to make Wamadet presses I think, is he still going?

lee production pot 4, extremly reliable and spares are avaiable if your realy unlucky, mines been on nearly every day for a good few months and not shown signs of letting me down yet, and a lot safer than useing a stove lol

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Took a 30lb lead electric melting pot to the tip last week, it bought it in the pistol days in the UK but had no use for it in recent years, even her in Jersey.

It was uk made by a guy in North Devon who used to make Wamadet presses I think, is he still going?
    You did WHAT with it - are you mentally deficient?

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    I used a gas ring and a ladle for years - and then discovered the Lee Production pot. Talk about easier... McT
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've done just the same, messing about with a propane bottle, burner and old pan. Splashing lead all over from a ladle. A friend of mine got a lee production pot, he lets me use it, I've never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I have the same problem with the spout on the Lee pot blocking or dribbling.
    I use a piece of bent wire, ("L" shaped), with a wooden grip that I poke up the nozzle to clear it if it plays up.
    It usually does the job.
    We do the same, it works every time.
    Robin

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I use loads of gas cylinders and afraid of the safety so use in shed only. the electric one is well priced meaning i can use in kitchen, whe shes not about!

Quote Originally Posted by magikuk View Post
    Hi.

I'm using Lee Electric Pot .

You can't go wrong easy to use.

Link to the shop.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=222909