Thread: 450/577 case trimming

450/577 case trimming

What are you useing to trip cases, I'm presuming that I need to do this as with my nitro guns just not read or seen anything that will do it.

M/H cases

Trimming the cases is commonly done with a trimming die set in your press.
    The case is pushed up into the die. Anything that protrudes from the die is carefully filed off. The old NDFS Co. used to make them. C&H die in the States will make you one.
    Alternately buy and modify for length, a Lee rotary trimming die for a 45/70.
    Be careful to recut only after neck re-sizing and especially if you have the requirement to full length re-size. This is because the the shoulder shape of the die internally, very rarely matches the shoulder shape of any given chamber. They vary extensively. So do your sizing and decapping first as this will affect the length of your case according to the shape of your die shoulder. In case I am not clear? A case will elongate, on firing, due to the reforming of the shoulder. It is common to see splits at the shoulder of cases fired in chambers shaped differantly from the die shape because of the constant reforming. Anneal often, right down and through the shoulder.
    With Bertram cases @ £4:35 each. I just saved you a lot of money!!!!
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Trimming the cases is commonly done with a trimming die set in your press.
    The case is pushed up into the die. Anything that protrudes from the die is carefully filed off. The old NDFS Co. used to make them. C&H die in the States will make you one.
    Alternately buy and modify for length, a Lee rotary trimming die for a 45/70.
    Be careful to recut only after neck re-sizing and especially if you have the requirement to full length re-size. This is because the the shoulder shape of the die internally, very rarely matches the shoulder shape of any given chamber. They vary extensively. So do your sizing and decapping first as this will affect the length of your case according to the shape of your die shoulder. In case I am not clear? A case will elongate, on firing, due to the reforming of the shoulder. It is common to see splits at the shoulder of cases fired in chambers shaped differantly from the die shape because of the constant reforming. Anneal often, right down and through the shoulder.
    With Bertram cases @ £4:35 each. I just saved you a lot of money!!!!
    How often would you anneal, I was thinking after 5 pops to be on the safe side. As you have said at that price I need to treat this brass like a new born baby.

Annealing

If using NDFS cases every 3/4 reloads. If using Bertrams every 4/5.
    Another tip is to file a witness on the rim of your cases in order that you can orientate the case radially in the chamber. i.e. always load a round with the witness mark at the 12 o/c position in the chamber. Why? because the chambers are not always perfectly aligned with the rifle bore!
    Some shooters will observe this orientation when reloading also. I would recommend this if you have the will.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    If using NDFS cases every 3/4 reloads. If using Bertrams every 4/5.
    Another tip is to file a witness on the rim of your cases in order that you can orientate the case radially in the chamber. i.e. always load a round with the witness mark at the 12 o/c position in the chamber. Why? because the chambers are not always perfectly aligned with the rifle bore!
    Some shooters will observe this orientation when reloading also. I would recommend this if you have the will.
    Cheers, I will give it a go. I'm used to reloading .308 at 50p a case and binning them after about 12 pops.