Thread: FWB 90 - doesnt fire - help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FWB 90 - doesnt fire - help

Hi all

I've just aquired an early Model 90 advertised as excellent condition and
    function. Condition is excellent but not sure about the function.

The battery check light does but it doesnt seem to want to fire. I can hear the
    trigger solenoid click but the sear doesnt disengage.

Currently the pistol is cocked. I have no wish to start dismantling it until a)
    I can check if it is just a weak battery and b)I have some idea of what i am
    doing and c) I can release the spring.

Any advice/tips on dismantling etc gratefully received.

I have seen Cones excellent article on the FWB 65 but I think the help i need is a little earlier in the knowledge chain.

TIA

Regards
    John

It's totally useless, you had best just give it to me, it will be no good whatsoever to you.

To be serious the obvious first port of call is a new battery. Drop Mark (Cones) a PM, he has a 90 and I am sure he posted about finding a source for new batteries. He may also have an idea where to go next.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Hi,

I've not taken mine apart yet. It still works.

But sometimes the solenoid only part trips the slide on release when dry firing.

I wonder if the trigger locking slide bar is pushed fully forwards. Perhaps the small plastic pip you can see when you open the breech is worn and the bar is still blocking the trigger release?

Is it loaded or just cocked? You could open the breech and unload it with a plastic rod down the barrel to make it safe.

Then if you separate the top half from the bottom you should be able to get to the trigger sears and trip the action.

HTH

Mark

The battery is 15v.

Like this one http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/view...mpaign=froogle

If you have a voltmeter you can check it to see if it is up to the correct voltage?

Perhaps the solenoid is not getting the correct charge.

It is also possible that the discharge capacitor has deteriorated with age, but that should be reasonably simple to replace.

HTH

Mark

Thanks for that Jeff and Mark - new battery on its way (I hope) - will try and check the existing tomorrow.

Also the small plastic pip is almost flush with the breech face so it might not be acting sufficiently on the slide release.

I had feared that if I dismounted the breech/barrel assembly from the handle/trigger it would spring the piston (its not loaded now) - Mark it sounds as if this is not the case?

Thanks once again and i will let you know how i get on.

John

Update

I dont think its the slide catch - I packed the catch button with a piece of hard plastic - no release - so I'm hoping its the battery which is putting out 11.4V instead of the 15V which it is rated.

My problem is i cant keep my hands from dismantling

John