Thread: Enfield P1853

Enfield P1853

Just picked up a nice little winter project.....

Enfield Pattern 1853. Not too hot on these but I believe this to be a carbine version. Few minor bits missing like the ladder for the rearsight and the bolt that holds the hammer on the lockplate.

Lockplate marked VR and dated 1859. It has been in a barn for God knows how long but I intend to restore this the best I can and do some before, during and after pictures

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2csfns9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2laf1ts.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by loach369; 05-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Just from the pic that looks like the naval pattern 1858. The 1853 had a 39" barrel and 3 barrel bands whereas the 1858 had a shorter (33") barrel and just 2 barrel bands.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    Just from the pic that looks like the naval pattern 1858. The 1853 had a 39" barrel and 3 barrel bands whereas the 1858 had a shorter (33") barrel and just 2 barrel bands.
    Thanks Mark. Any idea what bayonet I need for it ?

looks interesting....are you going to shoot it or just use it as a wall hanger

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    looks interesting....are you going to shoot it or just use it as a wall hanger
    Wall hanger I reckon!

Not original, but should fit OK. If you think its any use, I'll drop it in the post.

Steve.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...Enfield002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Not original, but should fit OK. If you think its any use, I'll drop it in the post.

Steve.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...Enfield002.jpg
    Steve

That is jolly decent of you. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    Just picked up a nice little winter project.....

Enfield Pattern 1853. Not too hot on these but I believe this to be a carbine version. Few minor bits missing like the ladder for the rearsight and the bolt that holds the hammer on the lockplate.

Lockplate marked VR and dated 1859. It has been in a barn for God knows how long but I intend to restore this the best I can and do some before, during and after pictures

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2csfns9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2laf1ts.jpg[/IMG]
    You should be able to get any spares you need from Kranks in leeds.
    Cheers

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    Seeing as the trigger guard looks rusty, I'd guess it's iron/steel. Weren't the sea service trigger guards made of brass. I was under the impression that if it has a steel trigger guard it's a land service, Segeant's 2 band Fusil.
    Now I could be wrong, as I'm no expert, so please correct me if I am.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Seeing as the trigger guard looks rusty, I'd guess it's iron/steel. Weren't the sea service trigger guards made of brass. I was under the impression that if it has a steel trigger guard it's a land service, Segeant's 2 band Fusil.
    You may well be right. Looking on the net there was a 2 band sergeants rifle designated the 1856. The naval pattern did indeed have brass furniture.

I only knew about the 1853/3 band and the 1858/2 band from my time at Parker Hale. I was there in the days when they made the repro's.

There was also a short cavalry carbine designated the 1861. The PH ones were known as the "Musketoon".

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Yes the trigger guard is steel and not brass.

I am currently debating whether to drill out all the frozen screws, totally disassemble, bead blast etc or just give it a going over with wire wool

I've found a UK based website with plenty of replacement parts so both options are viable. I've also located a bayonet.

[QUOTE=steve medlock;4641751]Not original, but should fit OK. If you think its any use, I'll drop it in the post.

Steve.

QUOTE]

Hi Steve

Thank you very much the sight turned up today. I'll post a few pics on the thread later on, a before and after shot.

Lee