Thread: Shotgun

Shotgun

Alright lads,
    I fancy a percussion shotgun.
    Can someone give me some advice on a good gun to start with?
    Im not wanting to spend a fortune on the gun itself as its basically just for fun shooting at my local clay shoot.
    I want to buy second hand.
    Also what do i need to buy to make it work?
    Iv complied a list and what i know about each item

1. A gun. I need some advice here!

2. powder, im going to use a black powder substitute to avoid needing an explosives license, Im fairly happy about powder.

3. shot, self explanatory.

4. Wad, overshot cards, where can i get these? what is normally used?

5. Percusion caps, what kind are suitable?
    Once i know the answer to these questions i will if i can afford to own and run a muzzleloader...
    Cheers Dave.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

I'm thinking of going to a gun club in Hudds. how much is it it to use their shotgun & shoot say 50 clays?

It depends which club mate, where are you thinking of going?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

You still looking for a percussion gun?
    You will get real grief if you try to shoot it at the club where I know you from, I did. but the look on one blokes face when he nearly messed himself was well worth it. The guys there complain about the noise. The Farnley shoot is also unipressed. He says that it is a noise problerm too, but the odd shot was ok last time I asked.
    A group of lads do shoot in a comp at the boar though, and you can take one to park lodge, or that posh spot near skipton.
    As to your original questions when I first started ML shotgun i used regular fibre wads, but then moved on to cutting my own from underfelt.
    Load goes as follows 1 powder, 2 over powder hard card(cut from v. hard packing card), 3 wad ( either bought or cut), 4 shot, 5 over popwder card ( either bought or cut from a beermat). 6 Cap (whatever fits your nipple, no smutty coments), 7 BIG BOOM, 8 BIG and I mean BIG Grin.
    Call me if you need any mor hepl Dave.
    I shoot none of them well, but enjoy all my shooting sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to your points no2 go for a bp ticket ,You can get bp for £16-00 for 500 grams were as 777 is £38-00 for 454 grams ( 1 lb) and you do use a lot with a bp s/gun. No 3 wads incorporated or henry kranks if you want to buy or buy a set of wad punches and source your own materials and save a fortune.