Thread: Bore Butter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Give wonderlube a try. Kranks sell it, about £15 for a large poy full. I use it for lubing 45/70 bullets, 577 patches and to cover the balls in my cap and ball revolvers. Smells nice too. Tim

If your just after a bullet lube try the rcbs case sizing lube I use it for the Lee 220gn conicals I use in my ROA it is cheap compared to the purpose made ones and a tiny bit goes a long way.

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

if your that tight use 10/40 engine oil lol, all its there for is to stop leaks and stop flash over. and before i get any smart replys back a lot of americans do it and they made the bloody things lol, personaly make bore butter but dont use it due to wads being a much better and cleaner idea and let you shoot for one hell of a lot longer, but you might not shoot it as much as me and might only want to let a few off so butter a nice idea

As above I use a wad. I shoot 18 shots each session but still lightly lube my conical bullets. I have a small Tobacco tin with the foam from a pellet tin on the bottom and up each side, it has some RCBS case lube on it and before I leave the range I put 18 bullets in it then by the time I get to the range the following week they are lubed.

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Quote Originally Posted by mat BRC View Post
    if your that tight use 10/40 engine oil lol, all its there for is to stop leaks and stop flash over. and before i get any smart replys back a lot of americans do it and they made the bloody things lol, personaly make bore butter but dont use it due to wads being a much better and cleaner idea and let you shoot for one hell of a lot longer, but you might not shoot it as much as me and might only want to let a few off so butter a nice idea
    As a newbie to this can you explain how to use 10/40 to stop chain fire? Last time I shot BP pistol was about 25 years ago and we used grease then, I remember as the inside of the firing point had a slick of it right around the stand
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Baz.
    I cannot see how anyone could possibly use oil to seal the chambers on a revolver. Axle grease, yes. Or more commonly petroleum jelly.
    Robin

I use Trex - see Morrisons or other supermarket, this is the same as Crisco - what the Americans use, have a peruse of the Cowboy Action Shooting websites.

You can also melt in a little beeswax - makes it thicker and add a drop of olive oil.

The aforementioned works well on homemade wads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    Baz.
    I cannot see how anyone could possibly use oil to seal the chambers on a revolver.
    Thats what I thought but I am a bit behind regarding BP revolvers, and fancy using something that wont cover half the countryside with tar

Whats the favourite to use, for least mess and reasonably quick?
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

just bung a wad over the bullet if you still unsure