Thread: BSA cadet info please

BSA cadet info please

hi all, could anyone tell me what wood is used for the stock on these please,its the later model with the rear stock screw through the grip. i thought it was beech,on close inspection i am not so sure..many thanks..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

According to Knibbs 'Golden Century' the early Cadets had beech stocks but as they were prone to split across the pistol grip, they had a bit of wood inletted into the grip.
    I have seen Cadets with and without this spline. I found no mention of walnut.
    Nice tidy rifles.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Phil

thanks phil,mine is the later type with out the insert,i thought it was beech,looks like beech but has much closer grain than usual for beech,,thanks..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

BSA stocks

Hi Greasemonkey, some early post-war Cadets had walnut stocks according to a John Atkins article in Airgunner, but I should think beech was usual. I restored a Cadet Major a few years ago that was definitely not beech, might have been very plain walnut. Like any business airgun makers get supply problems and produce odd batches to a different spec.
    If you're refinishing the woodwork then BSA often used an orangey- brown lacquer, I've had good results with Antique Pine shade varnishes.
    Cheers Torrens