Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got myself a very nice 1970's vintage ASI Paratrooper .177

I'm guessing that ours must have been made around 1970 for a short period before they introduced the plastic foregrip model with scope rails etc. Someone out there must know!

We'll have to compare the serial numbers when I get mine.

Cheers, Matt

gun is lovely......bin the carpet ugh ugh

I like these rifles and this looks like a very good one. GGGR is a bit of an expert on these and if I remember correctly he loves them. Good to see you back in action Grayling old bean.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    I'm guessing that ours must have been made around 1970 for a short period before they introduced the plastic foregrip model with scope rails etc. Someone out there must know!

We'll have to compare the serial numbers when I get mine.

Cheers, Matt
    The number on mine is C76542 Matt, I think ours are the earlier rifles too, no scope ramps for a start and the lack of a foregrip. Like you said some one must have some reference for these rifles.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I like these rifles and this looks like a very good one. GGGR is a bit of an expert on these and if I remember correctly he loves them. Good to see you back in action Grayling old bean.
    Thankyou , you can't keep a good man down , or me either for that matter .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

paratrooper repeater

A freind had one in the 70's the same as these(no foregrip) I've never seen a .177 with scope grooves in cylinder,my .22 single shot had them though. marksman pellets feed well in the .177's & are cheap for tin bashing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    The number on mine is C76542 Matt, I think ours are the earlier rifles too, no scope ramps for a start and the lack of a foregrip. Like you said some one must have some reference for these rifles.
    I've just got my grubby hands on mine. I'm pleasantly surprised at how heavy and well made it feels for what was a cheap rifle in it's day. It's also in superb condition!

Strangely, mine actually has grooves for a scope. I've no idea how well it shoots as I've got no .177 pellets

Oh, the serial number is C762589

Cheers, Matt

Para with scope rail

Yours has a scope ramp then, what year did you get yours. Still trying to work out what rough age mine is. Any chance of a few photo's of yours ?
    Piccies attached!

The years are something of a blur now, but I'd guess it was around 1984-86.
    The fetching bit of white tape wrapped around the barrel was to distinguish it from my brothers which used blue tape

Its fitted with the original Bisley 4x20 scope that dad gave me with it and even retains the metallic sticker to the cylinder that boasts "A.S.I. PARATROOPER accurate fire-power"

Signed to the barrel block;
    GAMO-85

The piccies;
    whole rifle
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...nk/para1-1.jpg

lhs main body
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...fink/para6.jpg

lhs showing scope from above
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...fink/para3.jpg

lhs stock
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...fink/para5.jpg

rhs main body
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...fink/para2.jpg

barrel block with sig & serial no
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...fink/para4.jpg

Could it be that the original ASI Paratroopers didn't have the forestock and scope rails and the later Gamo-85 versions did? I have a Gamo-matic repeater version too which again has the forestock, serial no. G03467.

Anne
    Last edited by Mrs. H; 24-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Ah yes, I can remember the adverts for these and wanting one, but no, I had a Baikal, Relum Jelly and a Corssman 1300 pump .

However, the repeating system was actually invented by FEG in Hungary, who made most of the Relum imports (Jelly, Tornado etc.), and it was used on a number of rifles they had called the Repetier. Game copied this for the paratrooper and their later '*****matic' rfles, and also copied the FEG Hurricane pistol for their Center, Target and Falcon models.

Interesting, its not just the Chinese who copy. I've noticed that Kraal, of Turkey, have now started copying Gamo. Their demon and Devil rifles are copies of the Gamo Shadow and CFX.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums or not (apologies in advance!) but there's some interesting historical references to the paratrooper here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57576...?action=signup

Cheers, Matt

Hiya Anne , was interested to see the little difference's between yours and ours and yours is exactly the same as the few I have seen of late. Certainly the extra plastic on the stock plus the totally different trigger blade. Seems the serial numbers do give some idea of age though.

Although Matts is by serials an older example than mine yet his has a ramp . The plot thickens . By the way Matt that link only takes you to the log in page.

Had mine out recently and it was great fun, certainly puts holes in cans fairly fast and the mag worked perfectly without a single jam. My boys really enjoyed that plinking session.

Although Matts is by serials an older example than mine yet his has a ramp . The plot thickens . By the way Matt that link only takes you to the log in page.
    That's annoying! I can't seem to get on there either. I didn't need to log in last time so maybe they've changed the access on it

It had a few good photos of some of the different models and the years the changes were made. From memory, I think it said the first repeater's like yours and mine were made from 1970-1973. There were some wooden stocked versions that was made in very small numbers at the very beginning of the run. Small mods made to the repeaters over the years included reshaped trigger guard, plastic foresights, plastic triggers and of course, the longer foregrip. I think the final model was made in 1985.

It didn't explain how my early model ended up with scope grooves though!

Cheers, Matt

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    Dates etc from the linked forum above:

1968 - First Gamo 68 with wood stock plates, plastic pistol grip and metal front sight (about 500 made). You can see one of these here: http://www.terra.es/personal3/africa...o_68primer.htm

1968 - Gamo 68 with both stock plates and pistol grip made in plastic. Other wise identical to the previous described model. This is the 68 showed in Frank's pictures.

1970 - Gamatic is introduced with same features of model 68 except the repeater mechanism and pellet magazine.

1973- Trigger guard is modified and the thumb rest for the left hand disappears.

1975 - New plastic pistol grip is introduced with extendend fore-end. Also, the front sight is redesigned and now made of plastic. You can see one of these here: http://www.terra.es/personal3/africatwin/Gamo_68.htm

1985 - Gamo 85 and Gamatic 85 are introduced. Basically the Gamo 68 and previous Gamatic with plastic trigger and safety lever. Plastic quality is worse and colour finish is different than previous models.

These Gamo were sold in Britain as ASI Paratrooper and ASI Paratrooper repeater. There are also some 68's made in Brazil.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Cheers Paul!

Matt