Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please for a newbie

Advice please for a newbie

I fancy getting a BP revolver, only ever used one a few times and that was many years ago, never got the bug as we could still use metallic cartridges then and it seemed too messy

I would like something that is capable of reasonable accuracy so I cant blame the gun when I miss the target

I remember the Ruger Old Army was a good one but I think I have heard horror stories about some of the other makes, not sure which though

And from what I here 777 is the way to go?

I fancy a .44, been offered a San Marco (not sure if thats right name) which looked like a copy of the Remington with the streamilned look to the front end, hope someone understands what I am on about
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Baz,

I know Eagleman took this up shortly before stopping shooting. He might have a couple of bargains as well as advice

Cheers Andy
    Baz

3 pistols you will not go wrong with baz....ruger old army....remington 1858... roger and spencer.

All 3 are good guns. The Ruger is by far the better built one. The Rogers is also well built and has a slightly larger grip than the other two. The Remington is nice to use also but has a smaller grip and is the cheapest of the bunch. They dont make the Ruger any more so if you can find a nice second hand one for under £350 grab it, you wont be dissapointed. The Rogers can still be got new for about £400 and second hand for about £200, if you have big hands thats the one. The Remington is a bit cheaper depending on which make you go for and has quite small grips, ideal if you have smaller hands. I would recommend .44/.45 as opposed to smaller calibres as balls etc are readily available and running cost are very similar. Be aware that later Rugers are classed as .45 and earlier ones are .44 but there seems to be no real cut off point where it changed. the other two are classed as .44. Bit daft really as all three fire a .451/.457 ball so should really all be .45.
    I have both the Ruger and the Rogers and would recommend either, iv also shot the Remmington and its also nice to use. You pays your money and takes your choice.
    Best idea is to go along to a club and talk to the guys shooting em and if possible handle/use them if they offer a go.
    Finally be warned that black powder revolver shooting is adictive and theres plenty of variables that you will have to make your own mind up about such as wads v fillers + over lube.
    Have fun and lets us know how you get on. Tim

I have got very large hands so the Rogers sounds like it might be most suitable, will have to have a looksee
    Baz

Hi Baz

Good advice above - I have a Remington 1858 lookalike in .44 and although it doesn't come out very often now it is fun to shoot and cheap to run. My version has the adjustable sight which is not on the original model but makes it more shootable if you are concerned with accuracy. It has got very small grips though, I find the trick is to curl your little finger under the grip.

As for accuracy - They are just as accurate as a modern pistol if you do the work and get the load right.

I have had my pistol for around 25 years and remember winning the percussion event at one of the Bisley pistol meets in the late 80's with a score of 96 shot on the standard 25 yd pistol target.

I also have a single shot Le Page dualling type pistol with set trigger in .36.

Only last week I was offered a Rogers and Spencer in excellent condition for £250 - Let me know if you are interested and I could track down the chap.

good choice baz....love to see your face after the first shot

Roa 45

Hi Baz

I recently bought my first bp pistol, an ROA stainless with a millet target rear sight. I was Lucky enough to get it for £200 with a rubber hogue grip that replaces the wood one for those with larger hands. IMHO it is very accurate with 14.5 gn weighed of 777 fffg and a 220 gn Lee conical bullet reversed to act like a wadcutter which leave nice clean round holes

Have a look at one of the first targets I shot with it at 20 yds it is in the first post by loiner1965.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....67#post4496867

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Nice shooting Rick - In a usual BP pistol match you have 30 minutes to shoot 13 shots - They count the best 10 but there are no sighters. One handed only at 25 yds. on a standard 25 yd pistol target.

Anyone do any western shooting?

I have bought a pair of Remingtons so far Got one here and one coming after christmas, looking forward to giving them a go

If I get the bug then I can see a R&S and maybe a Ruger being added when I can afford it, good thing is this bit of the hobby aint really too expensive

Anyone want to sell a Stetson, XXXXXL?
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I have got very large hands so the Rogers sounds like it might be most suitable, will have to have a looksee
    I also have large hands and find the Remington too small. I have a Ruger O.A. and I agree it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot once you have tuned the load to the gun. I also have a .44 (.454) Pedersoli Rogers and Spencer which is smooth, slick and accurate, but if money is no object then the .44 Feinwerkbau History #2 Rogers and Spencer (.457) is a delight to shoot and very accurate.

I prefer black powder loads, and use Swiss #2 in my revolvers. The licences are no real problem, it doesn't take much effort. The wooden box is only an afternoon's work.

If you want a really accurate single shot pistol then look at the Feinwerkbau History #1.

Good luck.

tedmo

Want to try?

If you were interested in trying various different types of pistol, you'd be welcome to try some of mine at a club open day. I usually shoot at Banstead in Surrey and can offer you the chance to shoot Remingtons (Hege), Rogers & Spencer (Pedersoli but an excellent pistol) along with the Feinwerkbau No 1, a Hege Siber and a Pedersoli Kuchenreuter. It'll give you a back to back idea of what's out there. The No 1 is my backup pistol as I'm now using a hand built 0.38 made by Andrea Baumkircher.

Quote Originally Posted by tedmo View Post

If you want a really accurate single shot pistol then look at the Feinwerkbau History #1.
    I have to agree, my score have improved considerably since getting my FWB History #1.

Thanks Tedmo for the advice to get one.

777 has the benefit of not requiring the additional 2 licences, but the downside of being considerably more expensive than blackpowder for the same volume.

There are also no special storage requirements for 777 so that can be a deciding factor based on what space you have at home to put a blackpowder box.