Thread: Muzzle Loader Newbie

Muzzle Loader Newbie

Hiya..i have,for years,been interested in having a percussion -muzzle loading shotgun of "some" description.. I live in the UK and have a current Section 2 shotgun certificate..
    I understand i can have,use,and purchase all the component parts for operating this piece of equipment,within the rules of a UK sec2 licence..

What do i do...and where do i start.. Who can i contact.. What would be the best suited shotgun/muzzle loader for me to start with,for reasonable cost...

Muzzle Loading has always interested me, and i would appreciate any pointers anyone could give me...

Many thanks... Steve..
    CZ 452 ZKM-2E .17Hmr 16" Varmint RUGER 10/22 LIBERTY .22LR Brno No2 .22LR AYA Yeoman 12g O/U Tula Toz-66 12g SBS
    HW100S .22 BSA Lightning .22 Crossman 1008 Webley Nemesis

I can't advise on which shotgun to get as I shoot BP rifle and pistol.

You do not necessarily have to buy a shotgun, a musket would do the same job, a calibre being approximately 20 bore would be better to use as a shotgun. And, if you go to a rifle range you will be able to use patched ball instead of shot. This also applies to larger calibres, 12b, 10b, etc.
    You will need a an "Explosive License" to purchase blackpowder. You can apply to the FEO for this, it does not cost anything.
    Once you have this you wiil need to send for an "RCA" document from the HSE so you can purchase/carry loose blackpowder.
    You will also need a wooden box to store the blackpowder.

Try looking at blackpowder shotgun sites to find out what charge you would need.
    In the old days it was common to fire 1-1/4oz of shot with 3-1/2drams of powder in the 12bore. (Approx 96 grains).
    You may find lower charges suitable so exploring sites might give you the information you are looking for.
    Over the powder charge you need a card and a wad, the shot, and then another card to stop the shot rolling out.

Hope this helps.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    or load it with pyrodex & you avoid having to get the explosive certificates.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

You may as well just get your section 1 and get a rifle/pistol/revolver. Once the black powder bug bites it becomes addictive.

Muzzle Loaders Association

Have a look at the MLAGB.com website for some contact details. The shotgunners are some of the most welcoming shooters I've come across (and I'm a pistol shooter!). I'm almost certain they'd be able to give you unbiased and good advice.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Any decent reproduction 12 bore should do you,It may be a sensible idea to get a single barrel gun first as they are intrinsically safer, you have to be very careful with a double not to get the holes mixed up & load one twice!
    Saying that i started with a Pedersoli double it shot well but was quite light. I then replaced it with a Navy arms double 12, much stronger gun with better barrels & screwed breech plugs.
    Standard charge i use is 1 1/4 0z of shot with equal volume of black powder. I use waxed felt wads. You can use Plaswads as well but should use a card wad over the powder first else they tend to melt.
    A sensible mod if you are going to use it often in the field is replace the standard ramrod with one made out of a Fibreglass tent pole, far less likely to snap!
    In use you should find little difference in performance with a modern 12 except slower speed of loading!
    Great fun!

where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfireman View Post

What do i do...and where do i start.. Who can i contact.. What would be the best suited shotgun/muzzle loader for me to start with,for reasonable cost...

:
    http://www.vintagearms.org.uk/ The Vintage Arms Association shoot shotgun once a month somewhere near Bisley I believe. The location is Holly Hills Farm. Their shooting dates for 2011 and contact information are on their website. If you contact them and ask to go to a meeting to observe, chat and learn I am sure they would be delighted. It's a friendly group with a lot of knowledge and experience. They have a lot of interesting kit between them.

tedmo