Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper Connect 3-12X32

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Thanks Para! You have just persuaded me to try one so its off to Blackpool for me tomorrow. I will fit the scope to my Airwolf and let you know what I think when I have had a chance to use it and hopefully get used to it.
    Cheers,
    Andy
    I have one on my AirWolf and it suits it very well, but you will need high mounts if you use magazine as the objective sits right over mag.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    My Connect seems to be 'true mildot' at 11x mag., anyone else with a Connect noticed this?
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Ah... I was trying to work out why that chap (Hardman?) in one of the magazines had the scope set so far back on the rifle. I think this thread clears it up, seems a bit weird and uncomfortable though

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenJH View Post
    Ah... I was trying to work out why that chap (Hardman?) in one of the magazines had the scope set so far back on the rifle. I think this thread clears it up, seems a bit weird and uncomfortable though
    It appears so, but it actually works very well.

You are only just over the water, pop over and have a look if you like sometime.

The only issues are that it may need higher mounts to clear a mag, but is not much worse than having a large objective conventional scope.

The likes of the HW100 can have the scope fitted very low if required as there is no mag to get in the way.

That said, Phil seems to get on fine with his on a Wolf, and my production unit will be going on a BTAS410k, which is not far off as regards the mag sticking up.

I should imagine that as both Sammie and Gary Cooper shoot airwolves, that the Viper Connect has been well and truly thrashed on a wolf....but I may be wrong
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Thanks for the offer I have been looking at the mamba lite though and I'm inclined towards that... though my budget is more Cobra these days

"Mog
    Mr Maximum
    My Connect seems to be 'true mildot' at 11x mag., anyone else with a Connect noticed this?"

yes, seems to be slightly out. mine is true on 10.5 on our mildot checker. no big deal really as long as you know its out and where its true.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJH View Post
    I have two MTC scopes, a Taipan 4-16x50 and the Connect, whilst the Taipan is IMO opticaly the better scope, the Connect works much better on an AirWolf, the light weight coupled with being mounted so far back gives a well balenced rifle such that it makes unsupported shots much easier, also the wide FOV means I leave it on 10x and can see as much as a conventional scope on 6x. The one thing I don't like is the small fiddly (compared to Taipan) side wheel, scope is off the rifle for a few weeks while I play with a NV setup so I hope to m/c a lever to fit the side wheel.

Went to BAR today and had a look at a Connect. Problem was my ageing eyesight is such that I couldnt make out the fine ret fast enough despite adjusting ocular lens. Bugger. If I could have done I would have had it. Another negative aspect of the deteriorating eyes. B-----d!
    Ended up buying a Lightstream for the Air Wolf. I am still able to make this ret out after a bit of occular juggling, but would have genuinely liked to have tried out such an innovative product.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Almost finnished the lever, as a lefty I've got to cut it down to clear bolt, but thought I'd post photo's for you righty's. As it is it transforms the focusing of scope, esp for lefty as I can adjust focus with just a small movement of thumb from firing pos'n.

Focus at approx 20yds.
    http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/u...nnect20yrd.jpg

Focus at approx 50yds.
    http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/u...nnect50yds.jpg

Has anyone had trouble with the side focus ?

nice work hurricane i'm going to be looking for some thing like that. has it markings so you can see what it's focused at ?????
    Cheers Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    nice work hurricane i'm going to be looking for some thing like that. has it markings so you can see what it's focused at ?????
    You can still see the original markings, but I may get around to marking the clamp.
    One think I should point out, originaly I'd thought of using a wheel, but this would increase the height of scope and it only just fits in my cabinet as is.

Wonder if MTC are going to produce any more zero eye relief scopes.
    Maybe a connect sized fixed x10 ?

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony2020 View Post
    Wonder if MTC are going to produce any more zero eye relief scopes.
    Maybe a connect sized fixed x10 ?

You know, I dont think that would be such a bad idea. I think the 01 was fixed (I forget) and I never found the lack of variable mag a problem.

I would think it would improve the low light/claritry even more, but dont quote me.

Certainly I prefer fixed mag lenses at work.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by spready View Post
    Have you tried using a NV addon with it yet??...
    Have been playing with Bresser digi NV and Connect this evening. I have a 'system' which can be adapted to work as a stand alone NV spotter with laser pointer that 'bolts' onto dovetails or in this case 'bolts' onto scope body to act as add on.
    Well there's good and bad news. Opticaly it seems to work reasonalbly well, ergonomicaly it might not work if you shoot prone off a bipod.
    The Bresser is standard Lidl one with lens replaced by 1( ?)x24, to get a comparison to using add on with standard scope I first bolted it on my Taipan, as expected the clarity was very good but FOV at the minimum 4x was not! also minimum focusing distance was increased by I think several yards, not an issue as it would be almost impossible to use close up due to FOV.
    Next I bolted it on Connect, using reticle as guide to FOV I moved scope forward and aft but found little differance so mounted it almost touching scope, at this distance as a guide to FOV I could just see 4th 0 under cross hairs, next I focused it on trees at about 20yrds and was supprised to see same FOV as Taipan ,Whoops, I had scope on 10x, a change to 3x and the FOV was not too bad, no where near same as without addon but usable. As per the Taipan there was a loss of close range focusing, sorry didn't measure it but several yards I would guess.
    Next I played with different illuminators, could only check out to 25yrds, longer range will have to wait till another night. The on board worked but not very well requiring a lot of gain, so on to IR LED, this is old HTH one, worked very well a good picture with not much added gain, as is often the case with LED some items look black and you lose cross hairs unless you put in lots of gain, but as this is digi you can keep gain low and switch on reticle illumination to no1, this works well with no flare from reticle just a white cross instead of black. Next was a 200mw laser, the cheap £35 one, the laser could not fill FOV with light so a little work required there. As I moved laser in and out of FOV it was ovious that it was slightly overpowering NV and whatever compensating circuitry it has was cutting down light, the reticle was always visible as the laser flooded everything with light, so looking good for longer range work.
    Next to ergonomics, if you want to just 'bolt' the NV straight to back of scope it will add a good 4to5" for me this is not too bad if I adopt a leaning back stance or sitting down, but if you rest forward on anythig or use a bipod prone you will struggle I think, the solution to this would be to move scope forward, on my AirWolf this is possible and using laser pointer rezeroing is a doddle esp with a digi system which can be used in daylight.