Thread: Well, can you?

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Thumbs up Well, can you?

Santa has seen fit to bring me a posh, shiny Ruger Old Army. Although he brought some .457 balls to feed it with, I still have some .454's left.

I know that .454 conicals can be used with the Ruger but I was wondering if the smaller balls can be used too, or would there be "blow past" gasses as a result?
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I've run both in my 45 ROA & even got given a mould that had engraved on it "Ruger OA" - that turned out to be 454 !!!

Does not seem to make much difference to be honest - using both sizes - the gun still shoots better than I do

Roy

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Cheer

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    I've run both in my 45 ROA & even got given a mould that had engraved on it "Ruger OA" - that turned out to be 454 !!!

Does not seem to make much difference to be honest - using both sizes - the gun still shoots better than I do

Roy
    Thank you Mr Harricook
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Thank you Mr Harricook
    Your welcome !

Just to add - both the 454 & the 457 I have used were in softer than soft lead & I use wads under the ball to bring it up to the cylinder mouth (or as close as I can get it !!)

I lube two cyinders with Allwoods BPL - just to keep the black powder fouling soft.

I am using 16gn of Pete Starleys TS2 powder at the mo - but may go back up to 18gn - as the grouping seemed better when shot offhand

16gn is great rested - so maybe the slightly higher oooomph takes out some of my 'wobble' -

Happy shooting

Roy