Thread: Restoring white lettering on older Hurricane

Restoring white lettering on older Hurricane

Anyone tried this? The lettering is lightly pressed in, it is the filler paint that has gone.

It's the type with simply "Hurricane" on the sides rather than "Webley Hurricane".

The impression however is so shallow and the script (resembling Times) so narrow in places that it looks like it's going to be tricky.

Any ideas?
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

White lettering

Degrease the metal/plastic and rub over with a soft white wax crayon...worked quite well on a Webley Mark 3. If it works, seal with lacquer...also works with Meteor cylinder.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Degrease the metal/plastic and rub over with a soft white wax crayon...worked quite well on a Webley Mark 3. If it works, seal with lacquer...also works with Meteor cylinder.

Mike95
    Same here..works well.

That's interesting, but it's the lacquer that bothers. The pistol is otherwise as new and hardly fired. I just bought this and I have a suspicion that I may have been responsible for the loss of the lettering on one side, (RHS) I'm wondering whether I did actually look at the RHS in the initial handling of the gun prior to deciding to apply some cold blue to some very minor rust pitting on the barrel. I then greased/Ballistoled the gun and it was then that I noticed that the lettering was 75% gone on that side (but near perfect on the other and the underside). I suspected that the cold blue may have ended up there but it's unlikely and in any case it may not have caused harm if it did (don't want to test this theory!).

Ugh. The idea that I may have done it, even if remote, is nevertheless killing me.

The side that is gone is the hidden side when the gun is in the box. There, feel better now, but I still want a fix!!!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

The lettering on your Hurricane was originally heat embossed, which is why the indent is so shallow, unlike the lettering on a Mk.III which is roll impressed in the steel, leaving a much deeper and sharper indent, so, unless you can find someone capable of accurately repainting the lettering, it's best left as it is.
    Replacement fore end covers do occasionally appear for sale, but they are invariably of the second pattern, with 'Webley Hurricane' lettering.

Protek have the latter variant for £18 http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/webley-spares.html

Alternative

Alternative...good eyesight, a steady hand, a very fine brush or mapping pen + some white paint! You are not dealing with a £500 antique so give it a go. If you use water based paint you can wash it off if you mess it up.

Mike95

Yup, I think that the options are limited to the above, Mike.

It's great that one can still obtain a front shroud but it's for the later models and my "modern" has perfect lettering.

Be interested if an earlier one was available!!