Thread: Who has got the earliest Scorpion pistol ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Who has got the earliest Scorpion pistol ?

being a relatively new collector of scorpions ,i only have two with another on the way ;unlike the man with the GOLD DIAMONTE example who is nearly in double figures ,i was wondering who has the earliest example ;its going to be a pa-.177 or ra.22 followed by the number,my oldest is at rb1240 which very approx is 85/94 probably around mid 80s
    havent seen a pa or ra yet.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I bought my .22 BSA Scorpion from Matthews Gun / Fishing / Motorcycle shop in Silver Street in Enfield in 1976 . . . been with me ever since, but now resides in a Shadow Carbine Stock. Sitting 5 feet away from me next to a BSA Buccaneer in .22 with a BSA Reflex sight. it's my first choice for when I'm checking the live traps for maggies, mink and rats.
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

I will open with RA 4649. recently chronoed at 5.3 ft lbs and bought from a shop called Toytown in 1973 (I think)- Wnen I was young I didnt keep receipts or boxes.

pa-scorp mk1 .177 1972-1985
    ra- mk1 .22 1972-1985

pb- mk2 .177 1985-1994
    rb- mk2 .22 1985-1994

very few of us bothered to keep boxs etc but apparently the full kit included ,oil,tin of pellets,pressed steel trgt holder inc trgts,and the famous cocking aid which seems to be one
    of the few things that regularly turns up .
    i am interested to see if anyone still has the full kit;one example went for £170 in 2009 so whats in the shed or attic.
    Last edited by red bob; 04-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Earliest Scorpions:
    PA 183
    RA 233

Latest Scorpion:
    RB 59972

I do have some boxed with their kits.

Just the one scorpion for me - complete boxed kit with instructions, test tag & all the bits. RB32999, so not very early at all. Got it for a £125 from the local gun shop about 2 years ago, which I thought was ok for a complete set from a shop.

183 and 123 umm thats going to be pretty hard to beat i reckon,quite amazing that ash was able to pick up a complete set.
    if as above your getting around 5.5ftlbs its about right ive heard, as have many alsorts
    of imaginary outputs.one point that confused me to start was that in the same gun you can find ba and metric threads ;talk about using up old stock!.
    Last edited by red bob; 05-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    being a relatively new collector of scorpions ,i only have two with another on the way ;unlike the man with the GOLD DIAMONTE example who is nearly in double figures ,i was wondering who has the earliest example ;its going to be a pa-.177 or ra.22 followed by the number,my oldest is at rb1240 which very approx is 85/94 probably around mid 80s
    havent seen a pa or ra yet.
    Hi, I have a few of these & a large No of spares,I also have 2, .177 barrels,
    Pic-
    But the reason for my reply was, One of the .177 barrels has a single point cocking lever system ( Ala the earlier meteor design )

Pic-

I have never seen this on a Scorpion pistol ? I take it that the gun number is the barrel number ! Is this correct, Ged.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 06-02-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: to remove a request for a type of gun banned from being traded on the BBS.

The serial letters/numbers are either on the underside of the barrel linkage point, or on the side of the same, so if you change a barrel, you change the serial number.

came across an interesting article that mentions the mythology, as i thought; the scorpion was a scaled up meteor and goes on to say that the piston and chamber are similar to but in actuality are different dimensions the trigger being significantly so although many external parts are identical.early sights being alloy and later being plastic.

came across an interesting article that mentions the mythology, as i thought; the scorpion was a scaled up meteor and goes on to say that the piston and chamber are similar to but in actuality are different dimensions the trigger being significantly so although many external parts are identical.early sights being alloy and later being plastic.
    not that the Buccaneer is a scaled up Scorpion?

scorpion pistol

high here are a few pics of mine i hope..

i hope i havedone it right.
    cheers john
    my guns at the moment.
    DAISY pump .22.very old.
    WEBLEY RAIDER .22.single shot.
    WEBLEY RAIDER .22.10 shot.
    WEBLEY FX 2000..22.eight shot.
    FRANCHI semi auto.12 bore.
    B.S.A 4/10.
    and a few not worth mentioning..

Hi, The Scorpion is in fact a scaled down " Mercury " & uses the same diameter cut down tube,
    The tube diameters are the same, But with different pistons & triggers,
    The Mercury uses the central trigger rod assy , Same as the Airsporter , But the Scorpion has a trigger that picks up on the underside of the piston, Similiar to the Meteor,

I might add that the barrel will only fit a Scorpion & a Bucanneer ( & the copies of the Bucanneer ) It will not fit Mercury,s/Meteors/Lightnings, Etc, It is a " One off "

Its power in .22 is well capable of the 6 Fpe limit, The first models were doing over 7 Fpe & had to be reduced, The Bucanneer is capable of between 8 & 9 Fpe, Being a rifle of course this is no problem , But it does show the potential,
    I Chromed one of these about 5 years ago , Its still in the box, I never got around to put it together !!! Ha ha,
    To the best of my knowledge , There were 2 types of rear sight ( Both plastic ) & I have a number along with the dedicated Mk 8 telescopic sight for the Scorpion pistol !
    A couple of Pics,

Cheers, Ged

thanks for that,im making up my own imfo sheet up and theres quite a bit there
    to collate;im notice there is a silver one there so all we need is a gold one for you
    know who ---r ,hes stayed out of this one for fear of attracting attention to his
    err unique example!!. thanks for taking the time to put up those piccs.
    bob.