Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has got the earliest Scorpion pistol ?

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

this is one of those threads thats as interesting as to how owners aquired and passed on their guns; or held on to them my own is a bit of a mystery as i cant remember for the life of me where mine went, i know where i left it but that was in 1975 ;o well at least ive picked up a super example ,very crisp but sadly lacking the box and extras. this is one of those iconic pistols that wasnt afraid to be different and i feel doesnt look old fashioned 30 plus years later!! not to many that can say that.
    Last edited by red bob; 06-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

And they last.
    Mine was 37 years old when it had a new spring-nothing else was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    being a relatively new collector of scorpions ,i only have two with another on the way ;unlike the man with the GOLD DIAMONTE example who is nearly in double figures ,i was wondering who has the earliest example ;its going to be a pa-.177 or ra.22 followed by the number,my oldest is at rb1240 which very approx is 85/94 probably around mid 80s
    havent seen a pa or ra yet.
    Hi, I have a few of these & a large No of spares,I also have 2, .177 barrels,
    Pic-
    But the reason for my reply was, One of the .177 barrels has a single point cocking lever system ( Ala the earlier meteor design )

Pic-

I have never seen this on a Scorpion pistol ? I take it that the gun number is the barrel number ! Is this correct, Ged.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 06-02-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: to remove a request for a type of gun banned from being traded on the BBS.

The serial letters/numbers are either on the underside of the barrel linkage point, or on the side of the same, so if you change a barrel, you change the serial number.

came across an interesting article that mentions the mythology, as i thought; the scorpion was a scaled up meteor and goes on to say that the piston and chamber are similar to but in actuality are different dimensions the trigger being significantly so although many external parts are identical.early sights being alloy and later being plastic.

came across an interesting article that mentions the mythology, as i thought; the scorpion was a scaled up meteor and goes on to say that the piston and chamber are similar to but in actuality are different dimensions the trigger being significantly so although many external parts are identical.early sights being alloy and later being plastic.
    not that the Buccaneer is a scaled up Scorpion?

scorpion pistol

high here are a few pics of mine i hope..

i hope i havedone it right.
    cheers john
    my guns at the moment.
    DAISY pump .22.very old.
    WEBLEY RAIDER .22.single shot.
    WEBLEY RAIDER .22.10 shot.
    WEBLEY FX 2000..22.eight shot.
    FRANCHI semi auto.12 bore.
    B.S.A 4/10.
    and a few not worth mentioning..

yup they came out ok john ,like the way you set up the second with a .177 barrel [i guess]
    plus scope and all the extras;i think i will do that,thanks for putting it up.
    bob.

Hi, The Scorpion is in fact a scaled down " Mercury " & uses the same diameter cut down tube,
    The tube diameters are the same, But with different pistons & triggers,
    The Mercury uses the central trigger rod assy , Same as the Airsporter , But the Scorpion has a trigger that picks up on the underside of the piston, Similiar to the Meteor,

I might add that the barrel will only fit a Scorpion & a Bucanneer ( & the copies of the Bucanneer ) It will not fit Mercury,s/Meteors/Lightnings, Etc, It is a " One off "

Its power in .22 is well capable of the 6 Fpe limit, The first models were doing over 7 Fpe & had to be reduced, The Bucanneer is capable of between 8 & 9 Fpe, Being a rifle of course this is no problem , But it does show the potential,
    I Chromed one of these about 5 years ago , Its still in the box, I never got around to put it together !!! Ha ha,
    To the best of my knowledge , There were 2 types of rear sight ( Both plastic ) & I have a number along with the dedicated Mk 8 telescopic sight for the Scorpion pistol !
    A couple of Pics,

Cheers, Ged

thanks for that,im making up my own imfo sheet up and theres quite a bit there
    to collate;im notice there is a silver one there so all we need is a gold one for you
    know who ---r ,hes stayed out of this one for fear of attracting attention to his
    err unique example!!. thanks for taking the time to put up those piccs.
    bob.

Mines a.22 and my repairer had to be pretty careful with the new spring

Hi, The Scorpion is in fact a scaled down " Mercury " & uses the same diameter cut down tube,
    The tube diameters are the same, But with different pistons & triggers,
    The Mercury uses the central trigger rod assy , Same as the Airsporter , But the Scorpion has a trigger that picks up on the underside of the piston, Similar to the Meteor,
    I might add that the barrel will only fit a Scorpion & a Buccaneer ( & the copies of the Buccaneer ) It will not fit Mercury,s/Meteors/Lightnings, Etc, It is a " One off "
    This is a popular fallacy that's been doing the rounds for years

The Scorpion Air Pistol is not a modified/adapted/scaled down anything.

You destroy your own assertion by stating the only similarity to the Mercury is the diameter of the cylinder, that the piston/sear assembly is similar to an Airsporter, that the trigger is similar to a Meteor, and that the barrels will only fit Scorpion/Buccaneer models, so going on those assertions, it's a hybrid Mercury/Airsporter/Meteor, with unique barrels.

The Scorpion air pistol may use some similar components to other BSA products, but was created in it's own right.

The Buccaneer and Scorpion's power was quoted at time of introduction as being 510fps in .177 for both models, and 380fps/400fps for the Scorpion and Buccaneer respectively in .22, so they were both regarded as Air Pistols, and limited to the legal power output of an air pistol, therefore anyone increasing the power of a Buccaneer is asking for trouble.

More myths then.
    Ive read before that early models were over the limit and had to be " recalled".
    But when you think about it how likely is it that BSA would market such a pistol and how could they be traced and recalled?

It is a fact that very early models were recalled for fear of some of them being capable of exceeding the legal power limit, but there's no way of knowing how many were actually returned to BSA.
    I don't know how long it was before production pistols were modified, or what range of serial numbers were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    This is a popular fallacy that's been doing the rounds for years

The Scorpion Air Pistol is not a modified/adapted/scaled down anything.

You destroy your own assertion by stating the only similarity to the Mercury is the diameter of the cylinder, that the piston/sear assembly is similar to an Airsporter, that the trigger is similar to a Meteor, and that the barrels will only fit Scorpion/Buccaneer models, so going on those assertions, it's a hybrid Mercury/Airsporter/Meteor, with unique barrels.

The Scorpion air pistol may use some similar components to other BSA products, but was created in it's own right.

The Buccaneer and Scorpion's power was quoted at time of introduction as being 510fps in .177 for both models, and 380fps/400fps for the Scorpion and Buccaneer respectively in .22, so they were both regarded as Air Pistols, and limited to the legal power output of an air pistol, therefore anyone increasing the power of a Buccaneer is asking for trouble.
    Both pistols ? Say,s who ?
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...lek/img079.jpg