Thread: is there a pistol that rivals the hw45 in power,acuracy and build qaulity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    Have to disagree with Taylor though - I find the Alecto trigger excellent. I even like the design of the safety!

I think Taylor was trying to be controversial (IMHO, of course).

I agree with Hollowpoint - the AimX range are good. I got one of the standard Atomic ones, not the Grand Prix. Wish I'd got the GP version, as the rear sight block on my Atomic doesn't remove to leave a sight rail, unlike some of the later ones. That said I could still use an offset mount on the dovetail in front of the loading port. They are good pistols (only mildly annoying thing with mine was I had to dremmel the trigger slightly shorter - obviously when they try them in the factory it is with the woodwork off, and the bottom of the blade caught on the inside of the trigger guard). You'd just have to ensure you'd obliterated the target before the air ran out...

Nope, on the occasions I’ve handled and shot the Alecto I found the trigger to be inconsistent and spongy. Not a patch on the trigger on the HW45 nor, for that matter, the HW40.

Perhaps I have the bar set a little high as I generally shoot match pistols. I’d still plump for the German Diana pistol tho’.

edit : IMHO

Compared to a match pistol yes it isn't as good - compared even to my old LP10 it's not as crisp. Compared to my AA Alfa it's quite unimpressive (I can't go any further than that, as pistols aren't really my thing and I haven't got any better ones than those ) BUT for a fairly cheap pistol at fullish power (unlike most target pistols) and no recoil effects it's not too bad at all.

(LP10 being the old M&G Original Diana, not the modern Steyr)

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    For build quality on the cheap, you can get a Webley Senior for about £100, but it won't have the same power as the HW45. Nice to shoot and accurate enough to keep you interested. And it'll last longer as well. One of mine's 72 years old, and still going strong.

The recoil on the HW45 is the opposite of what you find on a cartridge pistol because the rearward travel of the piston pushes the muzzle down rather than up. For instance, if you zero at half power and then shoot at full power the groupings drop on the target face because of the extra recoil. An air pistol with a forward moving piston better simulates the recoil of a cartridge pistol, like a locked FWB65 or indeed a Diana LP8.

Not important if you enjoy shooting the HW45, I do, that’s what matters.

Back to the OP: I think the fella wants a hand canon that can party with his bruvs HW45. The Alecto, I’m not sure. Besides blatting is much more fun with a bit of kick.

thanks for the replies but i went to the airgun shop today and decided id just go with something different (hw45 is a tad top heavy for my liking) so ended up getting a s/h sheriden pro hunter with a hawk adjustable brightness red dot sight and a silencer (thought pointless but i like the look however it actually makes a noticable difference in sound) got it for 180 which is probably a bit pricey but hey ho heres a picture

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...PICT1165-1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...2/PICT1166.jpg

Excellent choice

I have an EB22 & EB17

Great little pistols

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/DSC06040.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TARGET-MISSER View Post
    thanks for the replies but i went to the airgun shop today and decided id just go with something different (hw45 is a tad top heavy for my liking) so ended up getting a s/h sheriden pro hunter with a hawk adjustable brightness red dot sight and a silencer (thought pointless but i like the look however it actually makes a noticable difference in sound) got it for 180 which is probably a bit pricey but hey ho heres a picture

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...PICT1165-1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...2/PICT1166.jpg
    Like the silencer - Like Ian I have an EB22 - I've never looked that hard for a silencer, but can I ask what make it is (if you know)? Ian - do you know about these cans - it looks like the barrel as some form of adapter on it (possibly permenantly attached)? - just wondering 'cause there isn't much room on the end of a std barrel for anything to be stuck on. Target misser does the adapter bit look permanent to you? cheers
    Last edited by ashf9999; 05-02-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Sorry dont know anything about fitting silencers. Never wanted one - love the noise an EB makes!

thanks this is the eb17 im really not sure but yeah theres a permanent fixture on it heres some pictures of the threaded fixture
    http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...2/PICT1167.jpg
    http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...2/PICT1171.jpg
    http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...2/PICT1173.jpg
    ive only had a ten minute go currently but tomorrow i will hopefully be seting the red dot up and such

am i right in thinking i should store this with no bulb in as i got the impression in the shop
    that it had been stored with a bulb with gas in it

HW 45 all the way, the Alecto looks a good pistol but when I held one, very nice feel, lighter than the 45 but plastic don't cut it for me, the lack of recoil makes it feel like a toy, master the 45 and other pistols will pale into insignificance, however this is only my opinion, I tried lots of different pistols but buy the 45, change the grips and you have no need to buy another pistol....

Another vote here for the Scorpion, mine is running at 5.3 ftlbs in .177 with a POK! spring, delrin guide and a Venom Slimtech moderator. Smooth, powerful and accurate.

BSA 240 magnum are awesome pistols one of my favourite and once you get to grips with the hold technique it's a very accurate pistol.

I've ownd many pistols over the years and currently own a hw45 a 240 magnum and and falcon fn8 raptor and the magnum is still my favourite.

For the combination of price accuracy and power the Crosman 2240 cannot be beaten.It can also be upgraded as much as you fancy with custom parts from Gmac.I have an HW45 by the way plus an Alecto and a Falcon FN8,but get more satisfaction shooting my lightly customised 2240.I agree with 'Taylor' by the way about the Alecto what a piece of overpriced tat.ATB

secretagentmole Guest
    I have a 1322 crosman I picked up at an auction for £48, built in 1989 in the original packaging, with the unopened sachet of Crosman Oil with all the leaflets. Managed to fit the Combro and it makes 5.3 foot pound energy using Crosman 14.3 grain pellets! Accurate as heck too! That long barrel is a doozy!