Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lets go back to 1986 for a min....

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight

lets go back to 1986 for a min....

now then... did you ever go to a field target shoot and shoot plastic pigeon deeks perched on coconut shy holders?

i remember a shoot at basingstoke where we did.

great fun ..

a young lad called mickey andrews blitzed em with a .22 innova chucking barracudas at em

as the day went on it got harder to knock em off due to all the holes and they were filled with pellets

good ol days.

was it a southern thing?

Yes, I remember going to a shoot that had those " Targets " can not remember the club it was next to a pub between Winchester and Southampton could be the same one.
    My boy decided to go late the night before and ended up winning that comp and two other Jnr ones that day with a borrowed .22 Shamal and my HW77.
    PURBECK FTC (formally South Dorset FTC) SWEFTA League Champions 2011
    HW100k, Daystate Tsar, BSA Stalker

ive had to go look at my little wooden trophy i won that day to check.

1984 my god dont time fly

my memory aint what it was but im sure the first pcp's raised there heads

im sure some fella had a khamsin stocked daystate...or thats what i remember..

i was knocking targets over with a hw35 pecar and gunpell clones (superdomes) combo

Hi
    Yes i was there at basingstoke and remember that, i sill have the badge they gave away that day saying I HAVE SHOT WITH THE BASINGSTOKE BODS, it was in a sports center, they also had a table that shooters bought there guns to sell, even terry doe was there dave welham, terry wheeler, ian law, dave whiscombe, great days.
    JJJJJJ

another one i liked around that time was a venue called little green school.

great memories.

i was a member of arc agc at the time.

rob verria and his nipper vince. i forgot his wives name.

and the i forget there exact names... lazorenco or something??? husband and wife .. both had venoms.. big blonde bird shot ok.

dont spect many will remember.

Yep they used to go to most of the shoots at the time, i remember at west malling i was in a shoot off against him for first place he had a venom hw77 all engraved and a scope costing £300, i beat him with a rellum break barrel with a cheap 4x32 scope that i had bought a week before for £7.00 he was not very happy.
    JJJJJJ
    P.S. Just rememberd his wifes name it was Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Yep they used to go to most of the shoots at the time, i remember at west malling i was in a shoot off against him for first place he had a venom hw77 all engraved and a scope costing £300, i beat him with a rellum break barrel with a cheap 4x32 scope that i had bought a week before for £7.00 he was not very happy.
    JJJJJJ
    great stuff

all the gear no idear springs to mind

Just seen this...yes I shot at Basigstoke in the 'Walled garden' I used to enjoy the pigeon decoy sideshoots. I remember Rob Verrier, Mickey Andrews, JJ and Shirley Laseras, there was regular shoots around that time in Medway Valley AC West Malling, a club at Reading always did decoy pigeon too. Good old days, almost all Springers, the only Pre Charged you saw was Barry Macraws Daystate, no one else used them. My first ever FT shoot was in Mayfield East Sussex, using paper targets that had to be 'patched' after every competitor had shot, mind you there wasn't huge numbers then.
    Last edited by Lord Long; 28-12-2014 at 04:21 PM.

The day I was there with my son and a few members of the old South Dorset club, a Rat run along the top of the Hay bales and was missed by all.
    PURBECK FTC (formally South Dorset FTC) SWEFTA League Champions 2011
    HW100k, Daystate Tsar, BSA Stalker

Thumbs up mmmm, smell the nostalgia!

... I loved the `Pigeon` shoot, bought a .22 HW80 especially for this event since .177 would go straight through and leave them still perched
    sometimes the same format would be used but `timed` as a `speed shoot` .. a young Richard North with his break barrel webley was very hard to beat!

One of my favourite outings in the late 80`s was the Ormesby Air rifle club annual shoot on the beautiful wooded steep hillside behind the `Sun Inn` Chop gate, ahhh
    . . . Please INDICATE when overtaking cyclists !!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Old Brass View Post
    great stuff

all the gear no idear springs to mind
    No - they were very good shots as I recall - I think it was Juan and Shirley Lazerera (?) and young son Juan Junior (JJ). They had stunning engraved Venom HW77s. We used to go to Iceni open shoots and quite often my missus would be in a shoot off with Shirley. No grading in them days - Ladies , Juniors and the other sort! i never did any good though
    I have a wind problem.

They were good shots, made the cover of AGW once with their engraved Venoms, also had some of the first Ken Turner customs in stainless finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Long View Post
    They were good shots, made the cover of AGW once with their engraved Venoms, also had some of the first Ken Turner customs in stainless finish.
    Yes that is right, Medway Valley in early 1980's with John Breeds as club secretary. Talking of Juan senior and Shirley, I remember that it was actually Kens hand built stainless rifles from 1986, hence KT86. They were made from solid stainless steel in exhibition french walnut Dave Kowaboshi FT stocks. Ken made earlier models as well, all were made in unique matched pairs, such was his engineering brilliance. Where the heck are those beautiful rifles now I wonder? Atb. Derek

Paul Lunn and Joe White? Also had the Turner specials, they shot at South East Air Weapons Club, up nr Brands Hatch if I remember correctly. Those guns have to still be knocking around.
    Last edited by Lord Long; 28-12-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Long View Post
    Paul Lunn and Joe White? Also had the Turner specials, they shot at South East Air Weapons Club, up nr Brands Hatch if I remember correctly. Those guns have to still be knocking around.
    That's right. I kept in touch with Paul right up until he sadly died well before his time in 2007
    As for Joe, he and Cindy moved to America some years back.A nicer couple not to be found.
    Just the most wonderful people they all were(are). The club near Brands Hatch was in the delightful village of Horton Kirby. Great memories and great times with true friends.
    Derek.