Thread: Advice on getting started please

Advice on getting started please

Hi All
    I am looking at hopefully doing a little bit of hunting in the near future when I get myself kitted out, this is something I have never done before but would like to be able to put food on the table in the safest quickest and most humane way.
    I have access to a small pieace of land owned by a friend and the quarry will be a mixture of grey squirrels pigeon and the occasional rabbit.
    I have only ever shot .177 break barrel rifles for target work and have never owned my own!
    I am Looking at getting a second hand .22 springer to get me started but could do with some guidence on what other kit I will need and also any advice on how best to get started.
    Cheers
    Mike

Harry is offline World Recoiling Champion 2014
    Hi Mike,
    .22 is a good way to go but if your used to .177 that will also do the job, if you hit it in the right place mate it will go down, Get a few more posts on the bbs and you will be able to look in the for sale section and pleanty to choose from there, Good luck and welcome mate.
    Atb Harry.

hi and welcome,choosing the right kit also depends on your budget to include a good scope
    theoben mk1 rapid 1.77,LOGUN SOLO 177 10 SHOT MAG ,BSA Lightning 1.77
    WEBLEY VENOM VIPER 22 2SHOT, airarms 410 carbine,1.77

Cheers guys my overall budget will be around £300 to hopefully get rifle,scope&case.

Scopes are a whole new world to me really.The shooting I will be doing is probably not going to be much over 30yards. I have been offered by a friend a UTG true strength scope which is 3-9x40 with full size mil- dot, but this has come of an Airsoft rifle so I'm
    Not sure if it will be good quality for shooting quarry with.
    I had always thought .22 was best for hunting but a few people have now mentioned that .177 will actually shoot straighter and not loop so much as a .22. I guess it down to personal preference.

.22 is fine for hunting, especially if only out to 30 yds, .177 comes into it's own further out, because as you already say it has a flatter trajectory so no need for so much compensating.

You'll get a good set up off here for £300, I'd get a cheap and cheerful Nikko Stirling variant and a decent HW or Air Airms springer.

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    Hello Mike and Welcome to the BBS.

hi and welcome