Thread: Brass Frame: is it REALLY fragile?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Brass Frame: is it REALLY fragile?

I keep reading these horror stories about the alleged weakness of brass-framed (which are actually only partly so) revolvers: but how much truth is there to this?

Brass cannon was used aboard ships for quite a long period of time, and I'm not aware that it was any more prone to self-detonation than iron.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

nbarker is offline Cannot shout, well thanks for indicating you prick anymore
    I had a brass-framed .36 revolver and the top-strap broke when I was firing it. Didn't notice it until I came to reload and saw the split!

There was nothing strange or different to the load, filler or lead ball either. I just put it down to a weakness and then bought a stainless .44!
    --
    Neil Barker

'Brass' ordnance was actually bronze though wasn't it?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I guess they ARE really fragile, then!

Yes, bronze vs. brass: that's probably the important difference.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone