Thread: Neighbour's given me a rusty old gun - need some advice please

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!

Neighbour's given me a rusty old gun - need some advice please

How do.

My neighbour came round today, and dropped off a rusty old .22 air gun. Amazingly, the damn thing still fires (albeit at about 4 ftlbs). No good to him as he only shoots .177, so he gave it to me. The gun was really hard to break the barrel (Guess the lock mechanism is sticky?)

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Pic 6

Stripped it right down, and given it a wire brush with some WD40 to get rid of the worst of the rust. What next? I'll certainly need a new breech seal, and probably a new piston rubber plus a spring. What's the best way to smooth the action? The stock I can do (familiar with wood, not metal ). Looking to re-blue.

It has the word 'Original' in old fashioned type writing, with Mod 25 underneath, and the word 'FOREIGN in tiny writing on the side. What is it? I have an old Norica Model 61 and the trigger and internals look very similar. The transfer port is angled on this gun. It has an ingenious locking system on some of the screws (pic 3).

After some restoration tips if you please! Many thanks

Timmaaah

if you want more detailed pics - just ask

(I've also posted this in General Airgun, but have been led to believe this place may be more knowledgeable

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's an Original mod 25! Plenty about them on forums and the web. Get the wire wool out, it could be an all nighter
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Hi Tim

First eat some chilles de ancho...

Then wire wool it to death, degrease with white spirit and give it a dose of Plasticote satin black

once it's in bits obviously

At least it has the full set of sights

ATB
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

How do I get the action smooth (no pits)?

Ta

/edit -ARSE - missed Matt's post 'Full set of sights' Ha ha haaaaaaaa Will Plastikote give a better finish than blueing, or just hide more?

You won't get those pits out mate.

A polish out would remove a lot of metal - probably too much

A polish and reblue on this would set you back at least 70 quid and you will end up with a gun worth 50 quid

Clean it up once you have stripped it apart completely and then wire brush / wool it as well as you can then a few (5) coats of plasticote satin black will give an OK look (parkerised?!!) to this old girl.

The sights can be removed quite easily and should clean up OK too.

I would look at this project as a few hours prep, a tin of plasticote and a new spring, breech and piston seal and all nicely lubed.

That will set you back at least 30 quid as it is

Have fun and show us the results

Cheers
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

m25

me ide wire wool it with oil.then with a cloth rub in loctite rust remedy.it will turn a little black.the breech seal you can make from a leather belt cut to size oiled n pushed in then trim.its a leather seal in internaly and poss wont need a new one just soak it in goazin oil..spring if not rusty will be fine ,but make a spring sleve from a bikkie tin this will make it sweet.a little wire wool with a draw cord around it pulled through the barrel once or twice will clean it up if you havnt a rod and brush...you wont get it mint.i think they look better with a patina of age when their like that.its fun time.enjoy.

Cheers Matt - I'll see what I can do (Do the sights just tap out (esp the foresight)) The rear sight has hardly no notch at all - is that normal? Where would be the best place for seals/springs?)

Guess I'll be rubbing a while then (Any particular grade wire wool?)

Bore looks ok

Not bad for a freebie though

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    me ide wire wool it with oil.then with a cloth rub in loctite rust remedy.it will turn a little black.the breech seal you can make from a leather belt cut to size oiled n pushed in then trim.its a leather seal in internaly and poss wont need a new one just soak it in goazin oil..spring if not rusty will be fine ,but make a spring sleve from a bikkie tin this will make it sweet.a little wire wool with a draw cord around it pulled through the barrel once or twice will clean it up if you havnt a rod and brush...you wont get it mint.i think they look better with a patina of age when their like that.its fun time.enjoy.
    Missed this whilst replying to Matt

Many thanks for your post

I agree Loctite rust cure or similar is better and cleaner/easier than painting with Plasticote.

It turns the surface to Iron Sulphide rather than Iron Oxide by the action of fairly strong sulphuric acid.

Good Call Original 45

Get your spares from www.chambers.co.uk

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by timmaaah View Post
    Do the sights just tap out (esp the foresight). The rear sight has hardly any notch at all - is that normal?

Any particular grade wire wool?

Ta

you are all pervs

they are all right not worth a great deal,please don't abuse it with paint,finest grade wire wool and oil will clean it up leave areas around type and stampings alone,use a peel off gel stripper on the stock fine grade papers only to clean it back always work with the grain short strokes or you will end up with gouges never to be got rid of,try and leave as much of original stain as you can,refresh stain avoid anything red or black. just use oil linseed,walnut, proper turps mixed, into wood and keep at it.if you feel flush £40 should reblack it for you . the better you polish the metal the better the result

Quote Originally Posted by timmaaah View Post
    How do.

My neighbour came round today, and dropped off a rusty old .22 air gun. Amazingly, the damn thing still fires (albeit at about 4 ftlbs). No good to him as he only shoots .177, so he gave it to me. The gun was really hard to break the barrel (Guess the lock mechanism is sticky?)

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Pic 6

Stripped it right down, and given it a wire brush with some WD40 to get rid of the worst of the rust. What next? I'll certainly need a new breech seal, and probably a new piston rubber plus a spring. What's the best way to smooth the action? The stock I can do (familiar with wood, not metal ). Looking to re-blue.

It has the word 'Original' in old fashioned type writing, with Mod 25 underneath, and the word 'FOREIGN in tiny writing on the side. What is it? I have an old Norica Model 61 and the trigger and internals look very similar. The transfer port is angled on this gun. It has an ingenious locking system on some of the screws (pic 3).

After some restoration tips if you please! Many thanks

Timmaaah

if you want more detailed pics - just ask

(I've also posted this in General Airgun, but have been led to believe this place may be more knowledgeable
    Having looked at the condition, I wouldn,t bother mate !!!!
    Break it & Sell off the spares ( I see some are being asked for )

As was said, Its not worth the effort for a £60 ish gun in good condition,
    The 25 ( Especially the Original ) Is OK but not as good as the
    Original 23, Which is now quite rare , & the more powerfull Original 27, (With the smooth ball trigger )

I replied to a wanted advert here,- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=diana

Just my opinion , Ged.

Wire wool will take too long.......

Strips of progressively finer emery cloth whipped across it (both hands like the ol' shoe shiners used to) with the action clamped in a vice......take it back to decent metal in no time.