Thread: Webley MkII Service Info?

Webley MkII Service Info?

This isn't my usual neck of the woods, but yesterday a friend gave me a Webley MkII Service to play with and I'm rather hoping some of the learned gentlemen on here can give me an idea of its date of manufacture -presumably sometime in the late 1930s?-, and any other pearls of wisdom I should know.

The rifle is a Third Series, with matching serial numbers (S7110) on the trigger guard and .22 barrel, and is in fair condition, though some of the blueing is gone; there are some fine scratches on the l/h side of the cylinder and a gross one on the l/h side of the stock; and the (horn?) butt plate is cracked from the upper screw to the heel of the butt. On the plus side, the rifle is complete, wholly original (as far as I can tell), and the stock is a pretty piece of walnut with a nice finish.

Once I got it home, I removed the encrusted dust and dirt with a soft cloth, a toothbrush, and some Napier Gun Cleaner; cleaned off some spots of surface rust with Young's 303, and swabbed a fair amount of black fouling out of the barrel with a cleaning rod and patches, again with Napier GC, before stripping the action.

This was full of grease, much of which had got ahead of the piston and was causing an impressive amount of dieselling. I therefore wiped off the excess and degreased everything but the spring and guide, cleaning the compression chamber and piston thoroughly before lightly greasing the contact surfaces on the piston, minus the sear engagement point, the pivots of the cocking mechanism, and the threads of the cylinder end cap. I then reassembled the action and gave all the external surfaces a wipe down with some Napier Gun Oil. Finally, I removed the hard breech washer and soaked it overnight in silicone oil.

The rifle is now back together, and sounds and feels much healthier: the explosive dieselling has stopped, though it is still "breathing" a bit of light-grey, wispy smoke - I presume this is excess oil from the breech washer. Once it's running clean I'll re-chrono and see what the consistency is like, but for now all I can say is that it shoots fairly well (about 1" for 5 shots at 10 yards) and likes RWS Superdomes much better than 5.6mm Wasps.

I don't know if there are other barrels for this rifle in my friend's mother's attic -the rifle was his step-father's -but I'll certainly ask.

Anyway, if you think I've overlooked something important, or committed some heinous crime against this lovely old thing, I'm sure you need no invitation to set me straight! And if you'd like me to post some pictures, just let me know the particular details you'd like to see and I'll snap some after work tomorrow.

TIA

Mr. G.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 05-07-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Thought a real expert might have been along by now, but until they do, I personally think you have covered most angles already. One little tip I would pass on is when storing a Service Rifle, I find it best not to close the roll-over breach, this saves the breach washer from unnecessary constant pressure and in my limited opinion, prolongs its life. Keep up the good work and post those photographs.

diesel power

Try Terry Richardson on 08455 086 454 he has been shooting one of these for54 years in fact several of them if he can't tell you no one can.good luck and shoot straight if you get fed up with it i am always on the look out for something new to play with.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement!

Photos are here.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central
    Those are great photos, and a lovely rifle - I want one!
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Those must be some of the best photos of an air rifle I've seen. Nice!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Thanks for the tip and the encouragement!

Photos are here.
    From the Photos the rifle looks to be in excellent condition.Thanks for posting.ATB

Thanks for the compliments chaps! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

It was a real pleasure to take them: the camera loves the colours, shapes and textures of the old gun.